Break In Oil - Tecumseh 16.5 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the 16.5 hp Tecumseh engine in a friends lawn tractor with a new engine. He blew the original 17 hp Tecumseh when the govenor failed and over-reved till it threw a rod. It didn't occur to him to turn the key off while the engine was over-reving........

I have no manual for this engine so I am seeking advice as to what oil to put in this engine to break it in, and how long (# of hrs) to leave it in. I was planning on using an M1 xW30 oil after break in.

Thanks

[ April 12, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: DEWFPO ]

Run a 10w30 dino for about 5hrs. then dump that and install the M1 , even after 5hrs. the used oil will have alot of metal in it so don't leave the dino. in any longer than 5hrs.The M1 should still be changed at no more than 50hr. intervals.If this Tec. is an OHV, the valve lash should be checked at about 25hrs. and then about every 100hrs. after that.Also check the pre-filter on the air filter for oil, it should have oil on it to work right, but the factory usally fogets to oil them.

Thanks Plexx, that's exactly what I needed to know.

After pulling the engine I can see why it failed. The owner (who bought the tractor new in 1999), NEVER even checked the oil. There was a hole in the crankcase between the starter and the muffler and lot's of loose pieces in the bottom of the case. I can clearly see the crank thru the hole and the rod is definiteluy not attached. I got very little oil out of it and what came out was almost as thick as STP and very black. The engine didn't have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back