Outboard Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small inflatable with a two stroke,3.5 Nissan. Because its a slow boat, when going down wind, the smoke becomes a problem. I have tried Yamalube, Penzoil and Penzoil synthetic, all at 50:1 ratio, but I have not found any big difference between them.
Can anybody recommend a TCW-3 certified oil that produces low smoke?

I have been using Amsoil 100:1 outboard oil for pre-mix on my old '62 Evinrude outboard for several years. Also have several friends using the same in their newer (converted to pre-mix) V-4 outboards as well. Rarely if ever see any smoke when mixed at recommended 100:1 ratio. Also found out it's cheaper to buy in quarts. However, if you're mixing in a 5 or 6 gallon container or smaller, the 8 oz. bottles may suit your needs better. the product is now called Saber Outboard 100:1 pre-mix, product code ATO. (I had to go look at my bottles). Also, it does say recommended for TC-W3 on the bottle. They have another product that is 50:1 for injector applications or pre-mix and I have read that it is good, but have not used it personally to attest to its low smoking abilities. It is called HP Injector (HPI). BITOG member "blano" has given it the "thumbs up" as a good oil after testing it himself. Use the search to read more, and contact one of the Amsoil site sponsors if you want to try their stuff. Hope this helps you.

My neighbor complained about smoke in his OB. I gave him some Amsoil HP Injector oil to try. He has been buying it ever since. (2 years) He says it still smokes a little but is much better, engine seems to run better also. My brother in Alaska, had a problem fouling 2 of his four plugs every outing up the rivers with his outboard. He had good compression, so I told him to try the HPI injector oil. He did and reported that he didn't foul a plug the rest of the year. When he took the plugs out to look at them, he put them back in, they looked so good. His problem is gone. The ***** is, He just happens to live 2 miles from the Alaskan distributor, I have to get my oil 300 miles away in Las Vegas! Good luck!

Thanks for your input.
I am a little skeptical of using a 100:1 ratio on an engine designed for 50:1. I do appreciate your input but I would like to hear from people that have used TCW-3 certified dino or syn oil and have experienced reduced smoke. I believe Amsoil is a great product and I am not trying to start an Amsoil controversy.

I believe Nissan is made by tohastsu, your 3.5 is probably the same as my longshaft 5hp? On mine they recommend 100:1 using reg tcw3 oil (not a "special" 100:1 oil). They do run advise running some 50:1 through it prior to long term storage. Just use mine to troll, you can almost count the putts it idles down so low. Good little motor, never fouled a plug even put-puttin all day.

I run the Pennzoil Semi-synthetic from Walmart (~$10 a gallon) and definately get the 'normal' amount of smoke, not decreased at all. I think I remember reading that some people have used 1oz/5gal dosage of FP60 in their two-strokes and it helped with smoke (while still using 50:1 two-stroke oil of course). FP should also keep plugs clean and also is a stabilizer for storage.

Maybe try the Quicksilver Premium Plus, they have two formulations, one is more expensive (the Plus IIRC), maybe that might help. Its supposed to be a good oil and many places carry it.

Last resort would be to buy a four-stroke, which is annoying due to weight compared to a nice little two-stroke outboard.

WileyE

My manual recommends only using 50:1.
I checked my engine manual and Tohatsu's online manuals and both state that the 3.5 and the 5HP require 50:1. There is no mention of any other ratios except 20:1 for break in periods. Like I said before, I am reluctant to use lighter oil ratios unless recommended by the manufacturer.
Here is the link:
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

Surfstar:
What is FP60?
You are right about the weight of the four stroke.
I cary my 3.5 on a railing bracket off the stern of my sailboat and even though the Nissan 3.5 weighs only 28 lbs., it is still a problem to get it from the bracket into the moving inflatable.
I will follow your recommendations and try the Quicksilver premium plus and see what happens.

I run Quicksilver premium plus synthetic blend in my 1998 Tohatsu 9.8. I always mix it around 50:1. I dont notice any smoke unless it has been idling for a long time, but I can smell exhaust when going slow. Probably has somthing to do with the engine only running at 130 degrees or so.. my leaf blower uses the same mixed fuel and the muffler always runs 400-500 degrees on the surface with the guts glowing orange, and never has any smell or smoke to it.

In my expiereance Yamalube and Merc premium plus burn cleaner and smoke less than Amsoil HPI..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back