Need Robust Oil for Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
FJ,

How can you compare engine sequence tests in HD diesel engines to tests run in four stroke outboards?

Even if you had the data to compare....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
This is what I used to think before learning that the new marine FC-W certification tests marine oils with at least 7% gas dilutions. I wish someone could compare the CI-4+/SL vs FC-W test results.
With the new (weaker additive pack) CJ/SM oils coming out, FC-W would be no-brainer for boats.
http://www.nmma.org/certification/local/downloads/documents/FCW_Certification_Procedure_Manual.pdf

This is very true especially with regards to the Merc Hozizon engine models that have forged pistons that experience lots of cold start fuel blowby until they reach operating temp and fully expand. Fuel dilution is a huge issue and some of the oil labs will tell you that fuel dilution in marine engines is THE issue. Corrosion is #2 since many boats like mine sit for weeks at a time and then ALL WINTER without being started. I run only quicksilver 25w40 and add a non corrosion additive & stabilizer. This will give you a robust oil all season if you don't get all your anticipated hours in. My $.02.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back