Need Robust Oil for Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed it down to

Amsoil 15W-40 AME
Amsoil 10W-40 WCF
Redline 15W-40

Interval for the summer will push 100 hours and will see 190-220 degree sustained oil temps. Large oil cooler and 7.5qt sump 360ci 420HP SBChevy.

I'm having a hard time finding out if the Redline 15W-40 Diesel is also rated for use in gas engines? Redline's website does not even say and I can't find any info on it. I'm also open to idea's from other boaters.

Thanks guys!

For information on the Redline oil look up the website.The 15w40 Amsoil is a good choice on the list. I would do an oil anaylsis halfway through the season to see how the oil is holding up. Marine use is brutal on the oil plus the engine is putting out some horsepower and lots of gas is used.

my fiancee's father is the oil distriutor for the USVI. The oil chosen by most all boaters down there is texaco ursa. He told me last time that he is starting to carry delo because some desire to use that... as well as possibly some syn.

many (most???) use straight 40wt oil down there, though he does sell 15w-40 too. This is for boats from v6 size to VERY expensive yachts. ga$$er and diesel.

Texaco makes good lubes. dont discount them...

Some say that dino lubes can deal with moisture ingress better, and protect from corrosion better as a result.

JMH

Amsoil Diesel/Marine 15w-40 has best additive package from what I have seen. I am running Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 and the engine is noticeably more powerful than using Mobil 1 15w-50.

On the Redline gas engine spec, see if it is API SL rated. (S)park engine rating. Most oils are dual spec.

quote:

I am running Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 and the engine is noticeably more powerful than using Mobil 1 15w-50.

[/QB]

"noticeably more power"...
of course you're joking with this statment, I would hope.

I would be surprised if that was the case, but who knows.

Based on you list of selections, I would go with a C* rated 15w/40. Is the Redline a CI+4 (diesel) rated oil? If so, I'm sure either would work fine.

The Amsoil 10w/40 WCF is an SL rated oil, but the TBN count is quite high at 10.5 (nearly a diesel pkg).

Personally, I'd go with the Amsoil 15w/40 since it is rated CI+4/SL with a TBN of 12.2.

quote:

Originally posted by HammerDown:

quote:

I am running Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 and the engine is noticeably more powerful than using Mobil 1 15w-50.
"noticeably more power"...
of course you're joking with this statment, I would hope. [/QB]

Nope, no joke. The thinner viscosity made a noticeable improvement in the way the engine revs.

Ryan, I leaned on the Amsoil 15-40 for 108 hours 2 seasons ago and was more than happy with the results. We have a 454 Mag Mercruiser rated for 385 ponies. It's an MPI motor, but as you know, all marine engines are tuned pretty rich to keep them alive. If you do analysis you'll find that fuel dilution is what you'll fight the most.

The 10w-40, four stroke oil will be more shear stable than the Amsoil 15w-40, but either will work very well.

TS

First of all a dual rated synthetic 15w40/SAE 40 grade oil contains very little if any viscosity index improvers so it is impossible for this oil to shear back to less than a SAE 40 grade. For all practical purposes a synthetic 15w40/SAE 40 grade oil can be considered a straight SAE 40 grade oil suitable for critical applications where only straight grade oils are recommended. In addition to meeting the straight SAE 40 high temperature high shear requirements a dual rated 15w40/SAE 40 synthetic oil also meets the low temperature requirements of a 15w oil. So under cold weather starting conditions engine wear is drastically reduced compared to petroleum SAE 40 grade oils.

EXACTLY!!!

Under cold weather starting conditions your freshwater cooled inboard already has a cracked block! If you do not winterize you must use a engine compartment heater. If you do run in winter time, you're gonna let it get up to operating temp before WOT.

Multi vis in marine applications is the answer to an unasked queston.

Bob

I think marine oils are just overpriced HDEO's.
I have run Delvac or Delo 15W-40 in my first boat with a 260hp 5.0 MPI engine and now run it in my new cruiser with twin 370 hp Mercruiser 8.1S engines.
These readily available HDEO's are the best oils in Merc or Volvo stern drive or inboard engines. Gas or diesel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back