2 Stroke oil deterioration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that gasoline gets gummy and should not be used in an engine when it is more than a couple fo months old unless it was treated with gasoline stabilizer.

Does 2 stroke oil go bad too? I have some a year old and some Castrol 20 years old. Can I use it?

Agree with ****.

Was using some old valvoline tcw2 oil as bar oil in my saw this summer, it had lumps!

Discovered that AFTER I mixed the fuel with some 20+ yo spectro syn blend. It was good and saw ran fine but the rest of it became bar oil after I saw the lumps in the valvoline.

Put some Coleman's Lantern fuel in the lumpy stuff (enough to bring it back to original consistency) and use it as a fuel add in the car's tank.

shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Put some Coleman's Lantern fuel in the lumpy stuff (enough to bring it back to original consistency) and use it as a fuel add in the car's tank.

Kinda irrisponsible to advise adding an unkown quantity of a unkown (possible high ash) 2 stoke additve to fuel in an unkown amount where emmisions equipment could be harmed I'd say bad idea IMHO.

Bruce

Of course, you don't add the whole mix at once.
Not at 1 ounce/per 5 gallons and if you know what was in them.

Most 20 year old 2C oils were simply brightstock and napthenic oils with a bit of ZDDP.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Of course, you don't add the whole mix at once.
Not at 1 ounce/per 5 gallons and if you know what was in them.

That is not what you said.

Most 20 year old 2C oils were simply brightstock and napthenic oils with a bit of ZDDP.

Again unkowns, I blended 2 stroke air and water cooled oil now and 20 and 30 years ago and used NA/CA sulfonates so did anyone that made a quality product and NO ZDDP, so to reccomend this action you must know what you have as a 2 stroke oil and volume of fuel but this in my view is a waste of time just dump it.
bruce

thanks guys, used it up as bar oil so no worries.

Molakule, intersting that white gas would de-lump it? Why not just unleaded (my dad still calls it white gas)?

Bruce, Why do they say not to mix aircooled with watercooled oils? always heard this but never knew what the problem was.

quote:

Originally posted by wileyE:
thanks guys, used it up as bar oil so no worries.

Molakule, intersting that white gas would de-lump it? Why not just unleaded (my dad still calls it white gas)?

Bruce, Why do they say not to mix aircooled with watercooled oils? always heard this but never knew what the problem was.

Was just stating as a back ground that I have blended for sale both water and air cooled 2 stroke oil was not talking about mixing for your use sorry for confusion.

air cooled and water cooled have different additive's mixing would perhaps cause undue deposit buildup and or wear stick with what motor mfg recomends.

bruce

quote:

Lumpiness might be fungus growing in the oil which could clog the fuel filter.

It could be but I find it's usually just the solvent that has evaporated leaving behind the thicker components.

all the carb tech outboard mechanics are saying, bring it on, all that old gummed up fuel and out of specs OB oil.
at $95 an hour, we'll roast the wallets of a few fisher fools

I had trouble with some old (maybe 6 year old) two stroke oil in my weedeater. It ran like the choke was on all the time.

Some new oil mixed with fresh gas solved all the problems. I'm convinced that I wouldn't use more than 2 year old two stroke oil.

I wouldn't even use it as bar oil unless mixed with tacky bar oil. I've seen bars on chainsaws worn away quickly from not using tacky oil specially made for chainsaw bars.

i say run the old 2 stroke oil. i had some really old texaco 2 stroke outboard oil that was in a cardboard can with metal top and bottom. probably from the 60's or 70's. i ran that at 40:1 in my yamaha waveblaster pwc and it went fine.
compression is the same before and after the oil.

and on the other hand i get good life out of my chainsaw bars and chains and ive switched to USED motor oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back