Synthetic blends... what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my my first post, so if this has been addressed before, forgive me.

Recently I learned about this site because another user on the XLForum.net site referenced a post here. I did try doing a search on Synthetic blends.

Last year I had the 1K service done on my Sportster, and at that time I had the dealer use Syn3. This is the first time I've ever used synthetic oils, and I have been impressed with the reduction in oil temp. After the use of Syn3, the oil temp dropped by 20 degrees.

I had read a lot about this on other forums and wanted to give it a try.

I've always used Valvoline oils, change the oil and the filter every 5K. I've found by by changing the oil every 5K, it's a great time to check belts, tires and hoses, etc. So I prefer not to stray from this.

I've been looking at Valvoline Durablend oil. According to their web site this is called a Synthetic Blend. Just what does that mean? My take on it is that it's dino based with synthetic enhancers added. Does this mean that it would provide at least some of the advantages of a pure synthetic, at shorter drain intervals? I'm looking at this for use in my Jeep, as well as my boat, both require 10W30.

DuraBlend is mostly Group II with some Group III. It is not a bad oil, but for the same amount of $$$, I think Mobil 7500 is a better deal.

TallPaul is the Valvoline expert here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back