Opinion on Pennzoil Marine 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
JimC, I can run a virgin sample, but it will take a couple days. Let me know if your interested. I also wonder how different it might be from Pennzoil Long Life 15W-40. mikeyoilnutt

Don't know about the Marine version, but a lot of us are just using Pennz. 15W-40 LL with good results. I bet those two are quite similar.

Here are the differences... what do you think?

Marine 15w-40, Longlife 14w-40
Gravity
Specific @ 60°F(15.6°C) ASTM D-287 0.876 0.881
°API 30.03 29.1
Pounds per Gallon 7.29 7.35
Flash Point, °C(°F) Min. ASTM D-92 213(415) 205(400)
Pour Point, °C(°F) Max. ASTM D-97 -39(-38) –33(-27)
Color ASTM D-1500 4.0 4.0
Viscosity
@ 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 105 118
@ 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 14.6 15.8
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 145 136
High Temperature/High Shear Vis., cP ASTM D-4683 4.0 4.3
Low Temperature Viscosity
Vis (cP) at Temperature (°C), Max. ASTM D-2602 3500 @-15 6,400 @-20
Low-Temperature Pumping, cP. (°C), Max ASTM D-4684 60,000 @-25 23,000 @-25
Sulfated Ash Content, % wt. ASTM D-874 Shear Stability, % Vis Loss DIN Method Total Base Number ASTM D-2896 10 11

So you're using Kendall for your big-bad expensive craft, but HDEO for the "lesser" ones?

I'd go with either Delo, Delvac, or Long-Life.

JimG, both oils look like they have very similiar properties good pour points wich would make the oil easy to circulate at low temperatures, both oils have good total base numbers(TBN) wich would make the oils keep acids under control while the oil is in use, also both oils I think are using the purebase base oil (a Group 3 base) wich in my opinion does hold up better under high temperatures. I personally think that the marine version might have some more base additives due to the fact that marine engines sometimes sit for periods of time without the engine being run. I ran a virgin sample of the Long Life, but not the Marine version. I saw Jelly mentioned Kendall. They make a heavy duty oil called Super D-3 and it would be good in a marine application also. mikeyoilnutt

quote:

So you're using Kendall for your big-bad expensive craft, but HDEO for the "lesser" ones?

Jelly, I don't consider any of my boats "lesser" than the others...

I explained in the other thread why I'm sticking with Kendall for my BBC. Until I find something better for that application, I'm sticking with it.

Jelly, I'm always looking for alternatives. I found the Pennzoil Marine on the shelf and was curious. This forum is THE place to ask about it. I already know your suggestion, Delo, Delvac or LL. Thanks for that. But since you obviously have an issue with my choices, not only of oil but also of boats, books, etc, please refrain from answering my posts unless you are going to answer my questions. The original question on this thread was:

Hi guys! What do you guys think about the Pennzoil Marine oils? I can't find a VOA on this site.

Mikeyoilnutt, thanks for your comparison. It was most informative. I'm just learning the ropes here.

JimG

quote:

Originally posted by JimG:
But since you obviously have an issue with my choices, not only of oil but also of boats, books, etc

1. I have no issues with your oil choices. In regards to the Kendall, I just want to understand what makes it so good. Why did you choose it over other oils? Because a bunch of guys said it was good or because of factual information?

2. Boats, books, etc...what are you talking about? I'm confused?!?

In regards to this subject, I just wanted to understand why you were drawing a distinction between your BBC powered craft and the others in regards to an oil choice.

That's all...nothing more, nothing less.

[ January 15, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Why did you choose it over other oils? Because a bunch of guys said it was good or because of factual information?

The bunch of guys are Mercruiser Racing, Keith Eickert, Paul Pfaff and other high end marine engine builders. I haven't seen any evidence IN MY APPLICATION to make me change. I'm open to any suggestions.

And yes, there is a distinct difference between the 509 and the other two engines. In almost every way, they are different critters. Not "lesser", just different.

Thanks for your input. Do you have any comment on my original question?

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by JimG:
but also of boats, books, etc

Could you please elaborate on this? I have no idea what you're talking about.

In regards to the original question, I don't see any advantages with the "marine" version and would pick LL between these two for your applications.

Jelly, thanks for the pm...
smile.gif

And lest you think I don't like HDEO's, here's a list of the vehicles I current run HDEO in, (usually Delo or LL):

1992 Mazda Miata
1999 Isuzu Trooper
1996 Dodge Cummins
1979 Trojan Chrysler 318
Kawasaki Bayou 220 4-wheeler
1966 Massey Ferguson MF150 High Crop Tractor
Craftsman/Kohler lawn tractor
Various generators/lawn mowers/edgers etc

Just not in the Thoroughbred or the Donzi...

Jim

Yeah...just wanted to clear up any perceived "bad stuff" between us.

Good luck with whatever you use Jim, and keep us informed!

Take care,

Jelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back