Amsoil 100:1 at 50:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After completely ruining my 150hp Mercury outboard last september when I forgot the oil, I'm going to be a little nuts about it this year. I will also be running leaded aviation fuel, because my inline 6 likes high octane. I'm thinking about going with amsoil 100:1, only at 50:1. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Is there any better oil to use? I know mercury used to recommend 18:1 for racing with this motor back in the 70's...

From what I've gathered you should go 40:1-50:1 with Series 2000 Racing oil or the New Dominator that replaces it if you are racing at high revs and temps all the time. If you are seeing normal use the AIO Injector oil or the HPO replacement or even Interceptor at the same ratios as above.

Blano will come along soon to clear this up (and recommend MX2T
smile.gif
). He is very knowledgeable on this subject as he runs a lot of fuel/oil through a lot of different types of 2 strokers and has been researching the topic for quite some time.

I'd run the new, TC-W3 rated "Sabre Outboard" from Amsoil; mixed @ 80:1 instead of the recommended 100:1. That will be plenty of oil....

I run @ 100:1 in my 10,000+, rpm Stihl chainsaw and commercial trimmer and both are holding up just fine. I've had the trimmer for 6-7 years now ....

Tooslick

Are you using the motor for racing? If not, why the avgas? The compression ratio on a outboard is very low.Give me some more info.
smile.gif

Inline 6's are very sensitive to their fuel. Premium at a minimum, avgas is even better. It's got lead in it too, and it's not that much more expensive, so why not?
smile.gif
I'm not racing, but I do spend alot of time at WOT...

Your inline six has low comp like all outboards. I wouldnt waste the extra money on avgas. Use premium pump instead and your engine will stay cleaner internaly.
As for oil. I would use Phillips injex, or synjex, Johnson/Evinrude, or Esso outboard if you can get it. Do not use mx2t, amsoil race oil or any other non tcw3 oil in this application.
As for the amsoil 100:1. You motor was designed to run on 50:1 or greater oil ratio. You will lose performance and engine life with a 100:1 oil ratio.

BTW tooslick. Your stihl 029 ran on 100:1 for years? Those saws are homeowner POS and rarely last 6 months in pro use. How many hours do you have on it? I have ran over 20 gallons of fuel through one of my saws using mx2t. The plug is original and the exhaust tract and muffle outlet are spotless. Whish we could post pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back