what oil to use in mercruiser outdrive trim cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a new set (used set) of hydraulic trim cylinders, the one's that go on the outdrive and raise/lower it. This is a mercruiser 1 type drive, so it's the old old style cylinders, 1975-1980 era.
To my knowledge, they're supposed to use straight 30w motor oil. At least that's what I've always used for the past 15 years. And I'm also told if you buy the trim cylinder oil from the boat store, it's nothing more than 30w motor oil.

My dilemma is the boat stays in the water till December here in the northeast. Water temps get down around 40-50F and air temps below 40F. Problem I've had with the cold weather is the tilt pump runs very slowly to raise/lower the drive. I've almost certain it's because of the monograde 30w oil, probably congealing. The tilt pump has been rebuilt once a long time ago, but it has always worked excellent (fast) during the summer. So I know it's not the pump or anything electrical causing it to be slow during the cold weather (the boat is running with the alternator charging).

I'm wondering if any of you guys run any other type of oil/fluid with good results in cold weather? I'm considering using a 5w30 dino oil if not a 5w30 synthetic. I just wonder if there will be any problems with using a 5w30 synthetic, or even synthetic blend, leaking past the seals on the trim cylinders? Heck, might as well use the 0w30 synthetic since I need the cold weather pumpability, right?

thanks,
On the way home last night I picked up a quart of mobil 5w30 synthetic and worked on the pump. I have to say the mobil 5w30 pours like water (it was about 80F outside at the time). Pump runs and works good, no leaks anywhere, so we'll see come colder weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back