QuickSilver vers Mercury Stern Drive Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's some interesting results. It is now evident that quick silver and mercury stern drive oils are different in make up. Here are the virgin samples of each.
code:

Quick Silver Mercury

Mo 33 60

Phos 1181 516

Zinc 17 14

Mag 0 1

Calc 31 55

Si 36 0

Visc Cst 15.10 14.51

SAE 90 90

Well, there you have it.

Bob,
Are these the same lubes we tested last time I visited you? They were the ones that looked the same but performed differently?

Mark

Thanks Bob!! Me, I'll stick with the Schaeffer's
wink.gif
-Joe

I find this info interesting as I was told by the dealers how they were the same and no different except for packageing. See how easy people can accept info from dealers with no real concept of what they sell? I just love this stuff!
grin.gif

For comparison:

Schaeffer's #267 80w-90 Supreme

Si.....2
Mo.....97
Mg.....5
Zn.....11
K.......5
Phos....324
Ca......32

Analysis by Holt Cat Dallas. I use oil in my Suzuki Outboard lower unit.

hmmmm, P seems to jump right out of the box with Quicksilver compared to Bobzoil. Wonder if that is the magic "corrosive inhibitor" ingredient that Quicksilver talks about????

I don't think so because if you look at my little test I did a while back, the 267 gear oil did NOT allow rust on the nail where as the other full synth gear oil did.
 -

I have to post here, they have always been different oils one is a High Performance and the other is a premium oil. Merc claims that the High performance is the better oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnnymo:
I have to post here, they have always been different oils one is a High Performance and the other is a premium oil. Merc claims that the High performance is the better oil.

No, they both said the same basic thing and for the same stern drive oil. I'll have to look at the bottles but I can assure you that if one said high performance, then I made sure the other did as well. Both had the same basic labeling as to application and quality. As to who say's their high performance, no idea, both seem to claim the same on the bottles and the dealers advised me they were both the same oil just different bottles, which we know better now.

I think what Johnnymo is talking about is Quicksilver makes two types of stern oil. One is High Performance and it's green in color, the other is Premium and it's brown.

I've been running mercruiser crap for the past 30 years, over the years for quicksilver I've noticed they have had two types of lower unit gear oil- one was "premium gear oil" and the other was "high performance" with usually a fancier label. Recently, for like the past couple years or so, I have not seen the premium stuff anywhere, all anybody carries now is the high performance labeled stuff.

I also remember way back, forget the source, that the premium gear quicksilver was a dino type gear oil (and it was brown) and the high performance stuff was a synthetic (and was blue in my eyes or blue-green), and that the two were incompatible with each other and should not be mixed.

I can also say from experience, never listen to a dealer. Nobody today has any knowledge about what they sell or service, they only know what is displayed on a computer screen in front of them, case in point was the drain/fill plug gasket on the merc alpha drive. These little gaskets are universal and are the same for all alpha drives, 1976 (my boat year) on up, and probably on every other merc drive. When I ask for these at a dealer in particular, they ask what year make and model so they can look up the part number so they locate the only box of lower unit fill plug gaskets on their shelf
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back