Maxima Maxum 4 Ultra 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
At long last, here are the details of this boutique oil that I have been talking so much about in posts before:

Fe - 4
Cr - Ni - Al - 3
Pb - 6
Cu - Sn - 25
Ag - Ti - 3
Si - 9
B - Na - 149
K - 11
Mo - 1170
P - 2882
Zn - 3545
Ca - 1129
Ba - Mg - 1170
Sb - 220
V -
VIS @ 40C - 46.0
VIS @ 100C - 8.1
V.I. - 150
TBN - 9.32
SAE Grade - 20

My first opinion is that I would DEFINITELY make sure that oil consumption is NOT an issue with your vehicle as per the CAT poisoning rule.
Second, now I have to shut up about all the 20 weight oil that I've been saying use a 30 weight oil to, as I was using essentially a 20 weight all along.
Third, nope, not worth the extra high price of admission in my mind, so one botique oil out the window and chalk one up to my inexperience of the botique department this time.

I know that y'all will have fun bashing me on this one, so have at it while I sit with my tail between my legs...
twak.gif

Big P and Zinc along with Antimony, and Mg and Moly are up there as well. This oil has everything, but in an over the top kind of way. I don't think I'd use this in a car with catalytic converter. Is this a race oil?

Am I missing something here...a 30wt oil with a cSt at 100C of only 8.1???

How can this be truly called a motorcycle oil when it's only a 20wt product! Seems awfully thin for a bike lube. Something's not right here...

You can check this page here . I'm not too sure if it is motorcycle specific, but it definitely is a race oil specified for 4 cycle engines. Seems most places that stock this oil are motorcycle related web sites.

There is another description here :

# 100% ester-based synthetic oil specially formulated for very high-performance 4-cycle racing engines
# Race proven to increase horsepower by reducing fluid drag
# Special additives increase load capacity, reduce friction and lower engine temperatures
# Ideal for roadracing, drag racing and 4-cycle kart racing
# Exceeds OEM requirements, API SG/CC and JASO-MA 4T

Beastly additive pack is nearly half as strong as GM EOS. Wow! This might be better adding a quart to some conventional to boost the add pack and give it some ester, or maybe half a quart given the price. Would it be cost effective over VSOT or some other zddp booster?

The other question, if it is a race only oil it might not have the dispersants and detergents to keep a street engine from sludging.

But the 100% ester thing is nice for someone who really wants to get an ester component, with minimal add. Half a quart of this might give you as much ester as a whole quart of Redline.

Checking the site you gave unDummy, it is awfully close, but given the cold temps I've been seeing 'round here, I actually am appreciating the fact that I have a thin oil in my crankcase, particularly since it is a Honda spec'd for 5w20 anyway.

So far so good running this stuff. Might do a UOA after so many miles to see then if this stuff is even close to all of my touting of it...

very interesting indeed!!!

odd how the 0w10 and 0w30 on the website do not mention motorcycles, but yet the 5w40 and 5w50 of the same name (Maxum4 Ultra) both boldly state 4-Cycle Motorcycle Specific Oil. also of note is the 0wXX blends are just SG rated and the 5wXX are both JASO-MA rated as well. their website also shows the 5wXX being cheaper!!!

thanks a lot for the VOA. maybe i'll get some 5w40 to try in the mixmaster of doom.

So what's the verdic on putting this oil in a car??

The reason I ask is because I sell this oil, and I wouldn't mind using this in my '06 Civic which specs for 5W20....

Looking at the other elements, you get all the iron, aluminium, lead and silicone that you would normally have after a few thousand miles.

UOA, and you don't even need to go to the effort of liberating it from the bottle.

Thanks for testing this one, Dad2leia. That's an almost spooky additive package. Shannonw has a good point. How did they end up with that much metal in a VOA?

There is no definitive release date but at the earliest it would be around 2008 for a API SM Maxima street oil. I would definitely try their oils.

Wow, i think I would be afraid to put it in my engine! I do not know if that high of a level of ZDDP is safe! To much ZDDP can actualy cause wear and bore polishing. I would have to see some 2-3 UOA of a car engine we are all familar with before I would let that stuff near my engine. Now I would consider adding a quart to my crankcase each oil change to get the numbers up a bit. I saw this oil a few years ago at my local TSC but it was on clearance. They had a couple of different viscoitys at the time. I think it was primarily being used by 4 stroke snow mobil crowd. i almost picked some up but since I did not know anything about them I left it alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back