Mobil 7500 5w-30 VOA update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some History;

Back in Feb 2005 I sent Sparky @ Butler Labs a quart of Mobil 7500 SM 5w-30 and 10w30.

Those Results are here --> Butler VOA of Mobil 7500 SM 5w-30 and 10w-30

George at AVLUBE asked me to send him a sample of Mobil 7500 5w-30 SM from the same batch as above.

I did and here is the VOA;

-

I'll also type it here incase the link is down...

code:

Iron - 1

Lead - 1

Tin - 2

Aluminum - 2

Silicon - 4

Boron - 72

Sodium - 338

Potassium - 3

Magnesium - 9

Calcium - 2164

Phosphorus - 787

Zinc - 951

Moly - 157

Water -
Visc 100c - 14.4

Soot -
Oxidation - 12.00

Nitration - 4.70

(if I did not type it above, It was zero...)

Bottle codes are; OCN18A5A-5835 top line
023572 1112 bottom line.

Marked GF-4, API SM/CF

Thanks George for running this!

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

So what did he say about the Na? It's clearly in this sample. Yeah that viscosity is way off.

Yes, this sample is out of matrix both in the NA and in viscosity... The oil as sampled (and re-run Mr. Vetteman) was indeed a full fledged 40W... Not a 30W.. This oil needs to be back traced as it is not the oil as labeled on the bottle...

"Na in Mobil dinos. Nothing new here".. I very much disagree with this statement as I have indicated numerous times that NA in Mobil oils is NOT normal and something is awry with this bottle, possibly this batch.. The oil isn't even a 30W!
So it is doubly certified as either a contaminated sample or mis-filled bottle.
Again, more samples of Clean 7500 are on the way..

George Morrison, STLE CLS

George,

I've got a few bottles of this oil same batch numbers...

Let me know!
Bill

PS: Wonder if I should run them or eat the $2+ quart I spent and throw it in the recycle bin.
mad.gif
banghead.gif

And I've already already put in 6 quarts in my moms 2002 Chev pickup from the same batch...
confused.gif

Bill,
I wonder if I should dump the 7500 I now have in my van with only 1000 miles on it?
These guys keep telling me Na won't hurt my engine. But with all this talk about it. It sounds more and more to me like it's not a good thing. correct?

The viscosity..I've seen viscosites out of wack on some UOA's posted... But with all due respect, when I say nothing new here, I mean that all the mobil dino UOA/VOAs posted here within the past year have 200 + ppm NA. It would be best to find out from Exxonmobil directly on this issue, I'm sure all this talk of "contamination" is causing a panic among BITOG's. This panic is going to hurt mobil dino sales. Terry said it was a normal part of the add pack and Buster said that he called tech support and they confirmed Na was part of the add pack. Let's hope your wrong about contaminated bottles, if there is a widespread contamination, it does not bold well for Exxonmobil quality control and their rep on BITOG.

CH, you cannot say ALL analysis posted here in the past year have shown high sodium, just a significant number or majority. Exxon Mobil has been contacted, it sounds like at least three of four times. Anyway this is turning out to be a pretty good mystery, I hope the resident slueths can get to the bottom of it, either way it doesn't seem like anyone's engine is going to suffer at all, and there should be no need to be contemplating early changeouts or putting perfectly good oil in a recycling bin. That is just wasteful. Don't want it in your engine, use it in the lawnmower, donate it to a friend, etc.

Did they accidentally put 10w40 in the bottles, or maybe 15w40, or maybe even SAE 40? People up north might have problems with this, especially in winter.

Can you do a freezer test on this, comparing with a real 5w30?

quote:

Bill,
I wonder if I should dump the 7500 I now have in my van with only 1000 miles on it?
These guys keep telling me Na won't hurt my engine. But with all this talk about it. It sounds more and more to me like it's not a good thing. correct?

Incorrect! Check out this UOA from my Civic. It's a 5k run of the 7500, just about as good wear #s as are possible. (yes yes some insist that all Hondas return such #s regardless of oil type, but it's good enough for me. And Terry agrees)

jeff

We have two more fresh samples, one a Mobil Clean 5000 5W30 and the other a Clean 7500 5W30 and they are reporting 194 and 266 Na respectively. And yet my samples show no Na , both virgin and used......
The results will be posted in their entirety asap.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

wyandot, thats what I mean, Georges one!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

George, one has to question the source of your samples. Could your clients be telling you 5000 or 7500 when they are really getting M1 5-30?

reyjay1,

Could you please post a link to one of the VOAs or UOAs for Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500 that doesn't show high sodium? I have searched for one, but have not been able to find any, other than GeorgeCLS's post in the one Clean 5000 VOA thread.

Quote:
'Exxon Mobil has been contacted, it sounds like at least three of four times. Anyway this is turning out to be a pretty good mystery'

I was wondering if XOM was asked the right thing. After all there is no sodium (elemental) but rather molecular (sodium sulfonate or sodium naphthenesulfonat, discussed here:Molakule's comment)

Well, I'm not happy with a 5w-30 oil that is really a 40wt.
mad.gif

quote:

quote:

This oil needs to be back traced as it is not the oil as labeled on the bottle...

What else is wrong?
shocked.gif

I guess since no one at Mobil wants to recall the oil to test it more, I could take the same quart and get a VOA some where else on my dime to see what is up. (Not going to happen.. I'll throw it out before spending another cent on it...)

Is this what you get for over $2 a quart oil?

Where are the QC people at Mobil line??

I've never been happy with Mobil 1 UOAs I've had done and even though one of my best UOAs was with Mobil Drive Clean plus (the oil before Mobil 7500), I'm done with buying or recommending Mobil oil.
banghead.gif

I'll figure out how to use the Mobil products up or dump them into the recycle bin.

quote:

Incorrect! Check out this UOA from my Civic. It's a 5k run of the 7500, just about as good wear #s as are possible. (yes yes some insist that all Hondas return such #s regardless of oil type, but it's good enough for me. And Terry agrees)

Jeff, so you got some good Mobil 7500. What about the next time you go buy some. You may get what I bought...
confused.gif

Lets face it, Mfg better get it right. George even stated that the oil I sent him was
quote:

Not good. Your UOA was excellent, but if you can not trust the oil in the bottle, there are other companies who will take your money... And hopefully not misfill or screwup the oil..
rolleyes.gif

I took the sample here and it was straight out of the sealed bottle and I use a new funnel everytime I need one so it's not going to get screwed up at all. I know what was in the bottle made it to George in tact...

I do find it interesting that when Sparky did a VOA on this same oil from the SAME BATCH, he got 11.0! NOT 14.4!!

Oh well, I'll stop ranting...
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill,
Need the yardmarks/IBM numbers from the bottle so I can pursue.. Thank you.....
AND, the vis was double triple checked AND there WAS a mistake.. Your sample tests right on the money as a 30W.. My humble apologies as, well, Murphy of Murphy's law has prevailed...
SO, it IS a 30W, however, the sodium prevails...
Don't give up! Let's get to the bottom of this mystery!
George Morrison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back