Redline 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from AV Lubricants' oil analysis.
Iron 2
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 12
Aluminum 2
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 9
Boron 1
Sodium 35
Potassium 1
Magnesium 24
Calcium 4015
Phosphorus 1790
Zinc 2014
Molybdenum 961
Visc=14.4cST
TBN=11.8

Thanks for the report. AV Lubricants always shows higher numbers then other labs. Looks like a strong oil.

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
This is from AV Lubricants' oil analysis.
Iron 2
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 12
Aluminum 2
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 9
Boron 1
Sodium 35
Potassium 1
Magnesium 24
Calcium 4015
Phosphorus 1790
Zinc 2014
Molybdenum 961
Visc=14.4cST
TBN=11.8

Is this a virgin oil analysis? If so how can the TBN be 11.8? I used Redline 15W40 for 4K and my TBN was 12.5! Something is not right.

This sample came right out of the bottle. TBN's can vary depending on who tests the sample.
The 5.7L V8 is loving this stuff, smooth and quiet. I'll do a UOA after 6K, or so.

I used this oil in my little John Deere diesel tractor for many years. I never had a UOA done though.

Tin 12 ppm? Wow. Since tin can be part of a babbit bearing overlay that could cause some misleading wear conclusions.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Redline must be pumping this through tin plated pipes.

At 2X+ the cost of Amsoil 15W-40, I know which HDEO I'm sticking with.

The 6.0 PSD engine will shear the Amsoil 15W-40 AME down to a mid 30 weight. If you don't tow that often then the AME will be fine. If you want to stay in the 40 weight range, then find an oil that will stay true to its viscosity (Red Line). Here is Red Line 15W-40 in my 6.0 PSD:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000162

There is a guy on thedieselstop.com that has a database of UOA's, but I can't seem to find the link. Anyway, the 6.0 PSD shears about every oil down. The oils that I can remember that haven't sheared down are the Red Line, and Schaeffer's.

[ October 07, 2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I do agree that AME can shear in some applications...sheesh I thought Amsoil thickened! It actually sheared slightly in my turbo at 10,000 miles.

I've seen that big spreadsheet and frankly without crunching the numbers it can be misleading. One guy told me Amsoil was the worst and cited that site....frankly it looks to me like Amsoil is the winner. Bottom line the Redline falls in the same category as Amsoil 5W-30 HDD - OVERPRICED!!!!!

mmmm, let's not go there, Redline vs. Amsoil. I can't get Amsoil in Jakarta, Indonesia but Reline a plenty, so I gear toward Redline. I've used RL oil,ATF,MT-90 and loved them!!!! But now, my fave are IGOL Symbol Ceramic, IGOL Process Compact Synth and ELF Solara for oil. But ATF and MT-90 wont' use any other brand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back