Q 4x4/SUV 10W-30 Semi Synthetic SM GL-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised this VOA doesn't look anything like the 5W-30 Quaker State 4x4/SUV. Loads of Calcium and thats about it. I have this is my suburban now and wonder if I should dump it ASAP.

Al 1
Cr 0
Fe 1
Cu 1
Pb 0
Tin 0
Mo 74
Ni 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 6
Silcon 7
Sodium 1
Calcium 4187
Mg 5
Ph 736
Zn 878
Barium 0

SUS Vis @ 210 = 60.9
FP (deg F) = 425

Why would you dump it?

I bought 2 5qt jugs of the 10w40. I may have to VOA it since the two we have so far aren't even close. I want to send it to Butler to check the antimony.

Jason

Is yours the Q? or the regular Quaker State? Very interested to see how your VOA comes out.

I bought this oil because the VOA posting on here for the Quaker State 4x4/SUV 5W-30 looked AWESOME and I am now very disappointed that this is not the same stuff.

I think the other VOA posting must be the 5W-30 Quaker State 4x4/SUV vice the Q line. Maybe the Q line has more dependence on the base oil vice the add pack in the Quaker State? The Q specs are impressive as far as GM 4718, Peugot High Temp, etc. I cant find other Syn Blend that meets the GM 4718 spec, only full synthetics, so I hope this is good oil. Terry Dyson will definitely be doing a UOA on this in a few months.

I sure wish I could get some verification from the Pennzoil employee thats posts here often.

Yes it's the "Q" syn blend and says SM on the donut.

This would be disappointing but no reason not to use it.
If that calcium is accurate, overbased calcium is a highly effective AW and FM additive.

Thanks for the update. Blackstone is a top-notch organization as they are willing to go the extra mile to get the right numbers in the customer's hands.

The corrected Ca value looks like most other SM oils we've seen lately.

Just as a followup on the Ca issue, I contacted Ryan at Bklabs and confirmed that; "the calibration curve had a bit too much curve", to quote Ryan Stark at Bklabs.

I appreciate his honesty and openess and getting us an answer and why Dyson Analysis does business with this lab.

Calibration of ICP/Spectro machines in labs that do thousands of tests a month must be constantly monitored and in this case 2 tests slipped past.

A havoline 5w-20 UOA test and this VOA.

Blackstone called and explained they had a calibration problem on their spectrometer that affected calcium only. They did not have the sample to re-run; however based upon a re run of amother sample they estimated the actual should be 46% of the original VOA. The revised VOA is:

Al 1
Cr 0
Fe 1
Cu 1
Pb 0
Tin 0
Mo 74
Ni 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 6
Silcon 7
Sodium 1
Calcium 1918
Mg 5
Ph 736
Zn 878
Barium 0

SUS Vis @ 210 = 60.9
FP (deg F) = 425

I wonder why this soo much different then the 5w30?

I'd like to see the 10w40, although it is a SL still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back