Re-Formulated Amsoil 0w-40/AFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I don't like the fact that every time I buy one of their products, I'm supporting some dealer who is a liar, period. Other then the guy's on here, I've never met ONE that tells the truth. Other then that, it's a good product.

Thanks Tony.
cheers.gif

Become a Preferred Customer and be done with supporting "some dealer who is a liar". Preferrred Customers get a price break and don't have to deal with network dealers. I love spending my $20 anually to update my preferred customer status and just ordering anything online. It comes out cheaper shipped than going to local parts store for synthetics.

I have an Amsoil PC account. Amsoil buy's XOM PAO's btw.
wink.gif
Nuff said about this.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The 0w-40 only has to meet the ACEA A3/B4 specification and not the API/SM specifications. The problem is that Mobil is trying to have it both ways and that's why the additive levels in the 0w-40 have been reduced to GF-4 levels.

The xw-40 grades DO NOT have ZDDP limits and the limit on sulphated ash for A3 is 1.5%,which is as high as CI-4+ rated, HDEO's...

Buster,

"Every time I buy one of their (Amsoil) products, I support a dealer who is a liar" ?

So you'd prefer to buy your oil from EOM, the company who kept a known drunk on the payroll to pilot a Supertanker full of crude oil through Price William Sound? You want to play some hardball?
wink.gif

Ted

Too slick Amsoil buys xom base .What can you do ?

Just say (the truth) that not ALL the Amsoil base oil comes from XOM....sorta like the definition of "is" or "I was only following orders" or "I didn't really mean it" though
smile.gif

Mmmmm....
(1) I appreciate the posting of stats for this oil as Amsoil is slow to change their website with new info on their new formulations, or recommended changes in oil filters, etc.

(2) Have no real idea what the Amsoil "dealers" are lying about. Amsoil makes (re-makes?) very fine, dependable products, IMHO. What is there to lie about?

(3) And Geez, (I) believe XOM still gets unfair publicity over "that" oil spill, as demon-strated in jab above. Truly, they didn't want it to happen, and truly, truly, they didn't want to spend $3 billion or so cleaning it up.

Still waiting for first UOA on reformulated Amsoil SAE30/10W-30, TS. If its great, and you know its going to be shear stable, my oil choices will be easy. (BTW, pours down to 36' below zero, where I live (OK) thats more than enough, and better than any conventional stuff).

Jbas,

I was just giving my friend Buster a hard time....As was mentioned, Amsoil buys >> 1,000,000 gallons of PAO from Mobil every year and that goes up all the time. In fact, Mobil has been their main base stock supplier since they switched to PAO about 25 years ago.

The new Amsoil formulations should already be in their warehouses. I don't think you'd even know you're using the new stuff if you didn't do a VOA and see the 10.5-10.7 Cst baseline viscosity.

The 10w-30/ACD is the sleeper in the lineup, I think. It meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec and is priced about fifty cents a quart less than the ASL and ATM formulations. It also uses the high calcium, high ZDDP additive package that works so well in the S3000 and 5w-40. The only place I would not recommend it is for really low temp use in gas engines. The regular 5w-30/ASL would be the way to go there. It's practically a 0w-30 now in terms of low temp viscometrics, with a VI of 180, vs 187 for the new Series 2000.

I would agree with Buster that many Internet Amsoil dealers are over the top...I think you should have to be a registered STLE/CLS to be an active Amsoil dealer and pay the $$$ and do the background reading to pass the test. I'm in the process of being certified myself and have collected the information I need to do this over the next year or two.

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You should let me post the 3000 mile results from the Audi TT turbo, before you run this in some Japanese Superbike in hot weather.
smile.gif

I'm definitely interested in seeing your UOA results. Per the picture I posted in another thread, though, while my bike is Japanese it certainly isn't a superbike! It's a 650cc thumper dual sport the is spec'd for a 40- or 50-weight oil.

I like the thinner cold viscosities because I live close to the highway and have to spin the engine at over 5K RPM to avoid becoming a hood ornament when I commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back