4 Qts. Mobil-1 5W-30 EP + 1 Qt. Mobil-1 15W-50 EP mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am running this mix right now in my 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II (4.0L SOHC V-6, automatic). First impression is that it quiets the engine noise a little...fuel economy seems to be about the same, engine pepiness is slightly less, but almost not noticable...could be just a little less noise...not that it was too noisy with the straight Mobil-1 5W-30 EP in there though.

Results:

code:

Element VOA

Aluminum 0

Chromium 0

Iron 0

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 92

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 257

Silicon 7

Sodium 4

Calcium 3184

Magnesium 16

Phosphorus 858

Zinc 999

Barium 0

SuS@210F 64.6 should be 56-63

Flash_F 425 should be >365

Fuel % - should be
Antifrz% - should be 0

Water % 0.0 should be 0.0

Insoles% 0.0 should be
TBN 12.3

Blackstone Comments: When checked @ 210ºF, this oil was a mid-range SAE 30W, which is a little heavier than we typically find for a 5W/30. No moisture or insolubles found. No metals. The TBN was 12.3, quite high for a 5W/30. This oil is in serviceable condition and should serve your gas engine needs well.

Chuck

Thanks for posting this mixture. I was thinking of the same mix for my ride.
cheers.gif

I wonder if this 4:1 ratio, or even 3:1, would be OK to run during the winter in the mid-south's climate?

ToyotaNSaturn- No problem! I just sent off my second straight run (although I got lazy and went like 700 miles over this time) of this mix...so we'll see how it trends with the last one I posted here: Mobil-1 5W-30 EP (4 Qts.) + 15W-50 EP(1 Qt.), 2003 Ford 4.0L SOHC V-6, 5000 mile OCI

I'll post back here with the new UOA link once I get the results back from Blackstone Labs...

As for you running this mix in the warmer climates, I can't imagine it being a problem. My 4:1 mix is a mid-range 30 weight, which is actually a little thinner than GC when looking at VOA to VOA results. The first UOA on this for me had it right at the limit of a thick 30 weight...so this mix started and ended exactly how I wanted it to. Hopefully, this second run will trend like the first did.

Chuck

I AM NOW ON THE 2ND RUN OF 5w30EP PLUS ONE QUART OF 15w50EP, 820s filter.The oil came out at 9800 miles.
The first time the 4.0 did not use any oil between changes. Which is what I was looking for.I see no reason why it can't stay in for the full 10,000 miles this time.I will do a UOA seeing that I don't expect to have to add any oil it should be a good base line.

This is my post back as I'd indicated I'd to above...

The analysis came back in from Blackstone, which is the second run of this mix in my engine. Here is the UOA: Mobil-1 5W-30 EP (4 Qts.) + 15W-50 EP(1 Qt.), 2003 Ford 4.0L SOHC V-6, 5756 mile OCI

As indicated towards the end of my initial post in the thread linked above, I did see a little consumption with this run...anywhere from a 1/4-1/3 of a quart...and at most a half of a quart.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back