Restore engine restorer

Restore engine restorer, any good? Does it work? Increase performance? Should you use it with an oil change once a year? Will the engine last longer? Work for a smoking lawn mower?

This product certainly has been around for a long time.

can't hurt to try it
21.gif

It reportedly works in oil burners, and engines with low compression on their last leg. It fills cylinder imperfections with soft metals. It helps raise compression and reduce oil consumption. It is supposed to pass through the filter, but the engine must be treated with the stuff at every oil change. I know a few people that have used it with good results, and I've read here it has helped some owners of oil burning beaters. It is worth a shot. I wouldn't add it to a good running problem free engine. IMO it's a last resort for an oil burning tired beater.

It didn't do a thing for a friends Sentra that used a qt in 1000 miles. Even after two applications at each 3k oil change.

I tried it in my Jeep for kicks. I wasn't having any problems with it but wondered if it would quiet down the notoriously noisy Jeep 4.0. It did run a bit quieter, but what I really noticed was pick up on the highway was much better. It normally was a dog cruising at 60-65 but a bit after the Restore went in it was definitely more willing to accelerate with light pedal pressure. I figured it had improved compression. Miles on Jeep were about 125k-130k at the time.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Restore engine restorer, any good? Does it work? Increase performance? Should you use it with an oil change once a year? Will the engine last longer? Work for a smoking lawn mower?

This product certainly has been around for a long time.
I had a 2000 Durango with a 4.7 that had an idle south of smooth. I couldn't smooth it out. Added Restore with an oil change and the idle became smooth, and stayed that way. I guess that I had uneven compression that Restore took care of. I like it.

Give it a try, if it works good, if it doesn't. oh well it was worth a try.

It should probably only be used as a last resort.

It contains lead so if it's already burning oil, it's going to have some lead in the exhaust. Especially if it fails to actually work. That lead will likely poison the controls in the emissions system (like the catalytic converter).

On a smoking lawnmower? You bet! Probably one of the best things to test this product on.
Its hosed anyway so there is nothing to loose but a few bucks.

JMO

What engine/vehicle/OPE are you going to try the RESTORE in?

It contains lead so if it's already burning oil, it's going to have some lead in the exhaust. Especially if it fails to actually work. That lead will likely poison the controls in the emissions system (like the catalytic converter).[/quote]

^^^This was my experience in a RAM 5.9 V8. Ended up plugging the catalytic converter. I guess it depends on how badly the blowby is.

I guess there are some success stories with RESTORE however, my experience was not successful.

Last edited:
I used to use it on a very high mileage Datsun 200sx. (250K). It worked great but only for about 1500 miles so it didn't make anywhere near a full interval. Raised the oil pressure 10-20 points. Smoothed the idle and made a noticeable difference in power. I used it in the summer when the idling oil pressure would make the idiot light flicker at idle when hot. The car ended up lasting north of 350,000 miles when it was driven to the junkyard for failing emisssions. Hats off to Datsun and that 4 cylinder engine from 1980 and its longevity even through the abuse I heaped on it.

Used it in a 84 ltd v6 with wildly varying compression(had a lope like a cammed v8) the restore evened out the idle a good bit although I used the v8 version instead of the v6 can.good luck

Back