>20u 59

>25u 29

>50u 9

>75u 5

>100u 3

Ferrous Debris 12

ISO Code 21/15

Particel Vol 4

This is the new formula motorcycle oil that was released this spring. Sometime this summer I'll probably be putting it in my motorcycle and doing a UOA.

What a dirty oil! My used oil has less iron than that after 7,000 miles, and less than 1/2 as many 5um particles!

I guess part of this new "ground breaking" additive technology is the molybdenum they are now using. I think it's also things hidden in the blend. HT/HS is 4.5 for this oil. Looks good.

Jay,

The Fe is part of the additive package, ie the new rust/corrosion inhibitor....

The world must be at an end ...Amsoil has played the MoDTC card...
wink.gif
LOL!!!

Ted

Perhaps I should clarify those remarks....

One of the main selling points of this formulation is it's ability to prevent rust/corrosion of ferrous materials. I believe the 5 ppm of iron (which I've never seen from previous Amsoil formulations), may be a reaction between this fluid and some of the processing equipment that Amsoil uses.

The rest of the add pack looks pretty standard, ie a Calcium based detergent (like their diesel synthetics) and LOTS of good old ZDDP. No GF-4 oil, this...

The interesting thing is that this oil is intended for use in wet clutch motorcycles. Amsoil makes a point to stess it's NOT "friction modified". So that makes me wonder about the elemental form of the Moly compound??? In this case, they may be using it primarily as a corrosion inhibitor as well as a supplimental AW additive. This add could be sourced from Vanderbilt Corp, who seems to specialize in various moly compounds. Molecule would be the one to ask about that....

I'll be looking to see if the AMO/AME/AFL, xw-40 formulations follow suit and add the Moly....

Ted

Ted,

I was thinking more in terms of the ISO cleanliness of the oil. For comparison, here's virgin Havoline 5w-20:
code:

5u 2191

10u 497

15u 185

20u 78

25u 32

50u 4

75u 2

100u 1

15 ferrous debris

ISO 18/15

Mind you, the Havoline 5w-20 is one of the cleaner oils Stinky Peterson tested, but why can't Amsoil take as much care to ensure their expensive product is just as clean?

nicrfe 1370, the Golden Spectro 10w-40 you posted was also very dirty. You didn't fill the sample bottles and then decide to sweep the garage floor with the lids off, did you?

Jay,

Amsoil does filter all their oils before packaging ....I hope they are lurking on this site and see this data. I've haven't noticed any issues with their hydraulic fluids for example, where initial cleanliness is a real concern in high pressure systems with checkvalves.

I can check on ISO cleanliness levels and let you know their target levels for engine oils....

As I mentioned, the Fe @ 5 ppm is VERY unusual if you look at the other Amsoil VOA's!

Ted

Hi Ted,
come clean - you know that Amsoil is just trying to match the Fe levels in M1! This is only the start but in Amsoil's case it won't be wear now will it Ted?

Will they also use the excessive shearing additives to match the normal Amsoil thickening package to end up with "shear stability" (sorry, sheer stability)
wink.gif

Have a nice day in Dixie Ted - it is a cold wet and windy day here in the OZ Tropics - no sailing today!

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi Ted,
come clean - you know that Amsoil is just trying to match the Fe levels in M1! This is only the start but in Amsoil's case it won't be wear now will it Ted?

Will they also use the excessive shearing additives to match the normal Amsoil thickening package to end up with "shear stability" (sorry, sheer stability)
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Have a nice day in Dixie Ted - it is a cold wet and windy day here in the OZ Tropics - no sailing today!

Regards
Doug

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I used to think Sir Hillary was a professional
lol.gif
Not sure why he can't just be unbiased. TS has DH's panties all in a bunch, that's for sure.

As for this sample - I think a resample may be in order. The Mo is very surprising to say the least. The Fe particles and such, blow me away. Certainly not characteristic.

Has anyone done a UOA on this oil, or any other OA, just to confirm the Mo????

Hi,
Pablo - its all for a laugh of course!

Teds a lovely bloke actually - I think!!!!

As for panties, well I've never worn any - tell me how you know about them though - are you a user.........???? Frills or no frills???

Now if only Amsoil's 0w-40 was available in Australia................

I'm thinking of attending an Bias Clinic at the moment - its all about sewing 'n things is this the correct place to learn unbiased-ness?

Best wishes from the wet tropics (no wet panties)and keep smiling

Doug

quote:

Amsoil makes a point to stess it's NOT "friction modified". So that makes me wonder about the elemental form of the Moly compound??? In this case, they may be using it primarily as a corrosion inhibitor as well as a supplimental AW additive

The Mobil 1 MXT 10w-40 MC oils contain about 91ppm of Moly also.

quote:

Now if only Amsoil's 0w-40 was available in Australia................

The Noak volatility of Amsoil 0w-40 is 11.5% vs Mobil 1's 9%. I don't think you'd see anything great about the Amsoil 0w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
We had a summer here, once.

We get them fairly regularly, unlike rain...which we've had 5 days and 4 inches of.

Unfortunately, I had cellulose fibre insulation installed in the skillion roof two years ago, and it's not seen more than 25 minutes of rain at a time since then.

5 days and a pinhole (capillary) leak mean a lot of wet insulation.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Glad to see you blokes have a sense, of humor that is.
lol.gif

"humor"
dunno.gif
......oh...you mean "humour".
wink.gif

Amsoil tech services department confirmed that the Moly in this formulation is being used to provide improved transmission gear wear protection under very high, gear tooth contact loads. I don't know what elemental from the moly is in, ie is it MoDTC or some related compound.

This formulation show NO shearing after 120 cycles in the Bosch injector test. That's as shear stable as you can get. I suspect they are getting the 155 VI strictly from the basestock blend and by using some of the advanced PAO's that ExxonMobil is currently advertising. This also seems to be the approach they are taking with their new 10w-30/10w-40, four stroke Marine synthetics, as well as the 10w-30/ACD product.

This would also be a good choice for older European engines where you don't want to run a 15w-50 or 20w-50 year round. It's thick enough and shear stable enough to use in applications calling for an SAE 50wt.

"As for panties, well I've never worn any - tell me how you know about them though"

The normal, safe-ish reply to such a question is "oh, we learned about them from your sister." ('cause if we said we learned about them from your mother, we could get killed!).

Sure enjoy the TS/Hillary/Pablo exchanges.

Aside from the obvious (intent): this oil being formulated for motorcycles...

Can anyone give a reason/s NOT to this oil in a car... In place of Amsoil's car/light truck series 2000 20W50 racing oil or XLO 10W40 car oil?

Car is a 1.6l, supercharged 4cyl producing 230hp with 8000rpm redline. In summer it sees some track use.

I'm thinking the moly component may offer added benefit/protection.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back