Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend SM GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using this oil in my sons Pahtfinder now for the 2nd Auto-Rx treatment. I should have a UOA from the 2nd rinse in a couple of months.

-

Thanks to Mark at Butler Cat
cheers.gif
It's nice to have the numbers from a virgin sample to compare to the UOA!

Thanks for posting this. Bought 10 qts. before Walmart discontinued carryiny it for an Auto-Rx treatment or possibly other uses.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Thanks for posting this. Bought 10 qts. before Walmart discontinued carryiny it for an Auto-Rx treatment or possibly other uses.

I got 2 changes ( 8 quarts ) before they were all out. Now that my son is working at Autozone I got enough for the other 2 changes at a discount and it was about the same as the Wally price.

I'm hoping this oil was a good choice for the double Auto-Rx treatment we're doing on his truck. I'm looking forward to the UOA.

Looking at a previous VOA here -

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000289

It looks similar but the Boron went up from almost nothing to a pretty good number...

[ April 09, 2005, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Looks like SL Chevron, I'm impressed.

Where can you buy this now? Dealer only?

-T

I bought 15 quarts of the phillips 66 trop artic 5w-30 synthetic blend SM version at autozone closeout $1/qt
cool.gif

j, check this out:

quote:

This is an exciting new product Ford is proud to provide to its customers. Ford is equipping many of it's 2001 Model vehicles with SAE 5W-20 at the factory. And Motorcraft is providing this same motor oil for servicing these vehicles. This new oil has been designed to provide the durability, cleanliness, and fuel economy expected of a Motorcraft product. Tests show it outperforms our own SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
This oil has been thoroughly evaluated by Ford. It has performed flawlessly in over 300 dynamometer durability tests and has undergone vehicle testing, reaching as high as 250,000 miles in some cases. This is an oil you can trust. This new oil truly "exceeds the need"
Refer to the Owners Manual to determine which vehicles should be serviced with SAE 5W-20
Refer to TSB 01-4-7 for a listing of older vehicles which should be serviced with this oil
Meets ILSAC GF-4 and API service category SL

This oil out performed their 5w-30 oil.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
j, check this out:

quote:

This is an exciting new product Ford is proud to provide to its customers. Ford is equipping many of it's 2001 Model vehicles with SAE 5W-20 at the factory. And Motorcraft is providing this same motor oil for servicing these vehicles. This new oil has been designed to provide the durability, cleanliness, and fuel economy expected of a Motorcraft product. Tests show it outperforms our own SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
This oil has been thoroughly evaluated by Ford. It has performed flawlessly in over 300 dynamometer durability tests and has undergone vehicle testing, reaching as high as 250,000 miles in some cases. This is an oil you can trust. This new oil truly "exceeds the need"
Refer to the Owners Manual to determine which vehicles should be serviced with SAE 5W-20
Refer to TSB 01-4-7 for a listing of older vehicles which should be serviced with this oil
Meets ILSAC GF-4 and API service category SL

This oil out performed their 5w-30 oil.

wasn't that regular motorcraft 5w-30 before they started labeling 5w-30 syn blend and using Group 3 in the mix?

Here's the latest MSDS on the Motorcraft oils:

MotorCraft MSDS

The 75-85% of CAS 64742-54-7 is the Group III base oil sourced thru the Korean S-Oils company, currently brokered by ConnocoPhillips on the base oil market.

S-Oil 6 cSt Base Oil

Good look'n VOA, unusual to see a Grp III blend with these levels of moly & boron!

At $2.39 it's not quite a good of deal, but with that much group III and those Add levels it doesn't sound that bad.

-T

This oil uses the same approach as Mobil 1 and might even be using additives from Infineum. (pure speculation). Notice the high Boron levels.

quote:

Originally posted by nelsonlwn:
Can anyone explain why other recent MC 5w-30 SM VOAs have had almost NO boron and this one is loaded with it?

I wondered about that. They both are low on the Phos.Zinc (GF-4)..maybe they changed going to SM
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by nelsonlwn:
Can anyone explain why other recent MC 5w-30 SM VOAs have had almost NO boron and this one is loaded with it?

I wondered about that. They both are low on the Phos.Zinc (GF-4)..maybe they changed going to SM
dunno.gif

I checked the bottle that contained this sample again tonight and it's marked SM SL GF-4 just like everyone else has seen. I'm at a loss to explain the differences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back