Havoline 5w-20 w/Particle Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Virgin Oil Analysis of the new Havoline 5w-20 SM/GF-4.

Though in the "body of the text" it said meets the specs of SM/GF-4, on the actual seal, it said SL. Thats probably where Mark got the idea of the SL rating.

The picture that I have below is not from the same bottle, btw.
 -

-

Special thanks to Mark for adding this sample to the BITOG VOA Library!

Michael

[ April 04, 2005, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

Holy Moly, Batman!
shocked.gif
Too bad we didn't study motor oil in high school chemistry. It would have made learning the periodic table much easier and more fun.

Holy Moly, Batman! Too bad we didn't study motor oil in high school chemistry. It would have made learning the periodic table much easier and more fun.

I am no engineer but...

Perhaps this is the key to the 5W20/0W20 debate.

The high concentration of the moly in this sample may mean that with great anti-wear additive suite 20W viscosity may not be as hideous as some feel it is.

400 ppm
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
I am no engineer but...

Perhaps this is the key to the 5W20/0W20 debate.

The high concentration of the moly in this sample may mean that with great anti-wear additive suite 20W viscosity may not be as hideous as some feel it is.

JMHO, I'd rather have the oild keeping the equipment apart, and the additive there as a back-up...rather than relying on the safety net as part of the strategy.

As I said, only my opinion.

Does this mean that Havoline 5w-20 has even more moly than Exxon Superflo? If it does then that's what I'm going to use for my next oil change instead of Mobil 1 or Superflo. Inexpensive good quality oil + 5k oci's= long lasting engine and a lot of money saved.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Thanks for this information.

Sure folks.

But we should REALLY be thanking XPDitor for purchasing this quart of oil and sending it to Mark; we should also thank Mark for running this sample for us!

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Sure folks.

But we should REALLY be thanking XPDitor for purchasing this quart of oil and sending it to Mark; we should also thank Mark for running this sample for us!

Michael

Aw, shucks! Weren't nothin'. All for a good cause: knowledge.

-XP

Actually, the bottle of Havoline I sent Mark was labeled strangely. I will attach a picture of the label- front and back. It's got that vintage racing car front label. Then, on the back, the API seal says "SL" but, if you read the text above it, it says meets the requirements of API SM. And, of course, it is GF-4. Now, the newer labels for Havoline 5W-20 have corrected this as you can see on the first label picture posted with the VOA.

I have a small concern here. Is this an unusual label only... or is it an unusual kind of oil? This VOA was so good to my eyes that I am hoping my Havoline in the corrected bottles is the same stuff. I'm 90% sure it is. Here are the batch numbers:

Weird label: BN831599T 8-12-04
Correct label: BN913022T 2-25-05

Back side:
 -

Front side:
 -

Maybe it is the same formula but hadn't actually passed the API SM test sequence by time of printing, so they couldn't actually print the SM inside the donut??
dunno.gif

It is definitely an SM formulation based on this VOA.

Just a casual observation but does it seem now that we are getting these awesome VOA with particle counts and microscopy, that Havoline/Chevron are one of the cleanest oils out of the bottle? Or is it just me.

Thanks for this interesting analysis XPDitor and Mark.

This formulation is much different than the SL formulation. The SL formula was very similar to Chevron Supreme 5w-20 which I posted here.
And the stuff I tested was the Chevron/Texaco flavor, not the Equilon flavor--as is this sample.

Look at all that Al! I feel a little better about the Al number now in my last report.

I believe that the bottle shown by XPDITOR was the "transition" phase label used by several other companies also.

API set a date when the SM could be officially printed in the donut, even when the product was already SM. Thus, SM in the text, but not in the donut.

I don't think this is an Equilon sample, it closely matches my Chevron 5w30 UOA. This is Chevron's new direction, less boron, more moly.

-T

FWIW....I just put the Havoline 5W20 in our 1998 5.4L Expedition for the rinse phase of an ARx cycle. I like the way it runs vs. the MC 5W30. I am going to run it 2K and re-fill with the same oil. Havoline really seems to be making good products these days. I am pretty impressed with all of the UOAs I have seen and plan to run some form of Havoline (5W20, 5W30 or 10W30) in all of our cars.

I will get a UOA of the second cycle of 5W20 and post for everyone.

I change oil today and had six quarts of Havoline 5w-20. Three of the bottles were came out of a case dated 8-28-05 the other 3 came out of case dated 4-25-05 (this had the old race car on the bottle)
The older dated oil was a lot darker in color and poured thicker than the later date oil, which was a golden transparent color.
Do you feel there is diffence in add pack?

quote:

Originally posted by LC:
I change oil today and had six quarts of Havoline 5w-20. Three of the bottles were came out of a case dated 8-28-05 the other 3 came out of case dated 4-25-05 (this had the old race car on the bottle)
The older dated oil was a lot darker in color and poured thicker than the later date oil, which was a golden transparent color.
Do you feel there is diffence in add pack?

One could of been SM -- the other SL. The viscosity difference you described is puzzling. I'm not going to guess on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back