BARIUM 0 0
first number is test oil value - second number is Universal Average

TBN 12.0

SUS
VISCOSITY
@ 210 ºF 63.9 56-64

Flashpoint F 430 >365

Water 0 0

Insolubles % 0 forst number is test oil value - second number is what the oil should be

Lab comments: No problems showed up in this sample of virgin Amsoil 0W/30 oil. The viscosity was in the middle of the 30W range. The iron is probably from steel holding tanks and transfer equipment. Calcium and magnesium and detergent/dispersant additives, while phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives. No moisture or insolubles were found. The TBN read 12.0, quite high. We consider a used oil TBN of 1.0 or less to be too low. This oil is in serviceable condition and should do well in your engine.

You should have them re-test this sample ....I don't think they are even close on the additive levels,unless this formulation has been extensively re-formulated....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
unless this formulation has been extensively re-formulated....

I'm also thinking it has been reformulated since most of the newest VOA's around here show "odd looking" add pack levels.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You should have them re-test this sample ....I don't think they are even close on the additive levels,unless this formulation has been extensively re-formulated....

TS

Please explain why I should ask for a retest ( I am new to this )? Also, what do I say to the test lab ( Blackstone ) when requesting a retest?

Other opinions sought too, please.

Thanks ....

Blackstone Labs has a tendency to show lower #'s for some reason. Compare various reports to other labs such as Avlube or Butler and you'll alway see ZDDP shown about 150-200ppm higher with these. George Morrison's VOA of M1R is quite different then the one I posted from Blackstone Labs.

Aldive,

My mistake, there has clearly been a major re-formulation of the Series 2000, 0w-30 - see the recent Honda accord analysis. What's interesting is how they get a 12 TBN with so little Ca and Mg. I believe this is being done through changes to the basestock blend ....

I've ordered a case of this new Series 2000f to test in my two Audis ....

TS

I should add, this actually looks like a GF-4 or API/SM formulation.
shocked.gif

The XL line will be their GF-4 Line. If you take the lab variations I've seen between Butler/Blackstone and AVLUBE, this same oil showing here could easily have 200ppm more of P/Zinc. Still would make levels lower though. This oil in theh past always had about 1,150 ppm of P. They could be doing the same thing as others and slowly adding more unseen additives into the base oil. I'd like to see the Flash point of this oil and the Mobil EP oils to see if anything has changed.

Buster,

I believe you'll find the Noack volatility (high temp evaporation) of this new 0w-30 formulation is significantly lower than the 8.6% shown on their old data sheet. Based on the current 5w-30,10w-30 and 0w-40, I'd expect something in the 6.5%-7.0% range. This should help with the evaporative thickening you see over long drain intervals in V-8 applications.

In this case, I think the TBN is being boosted by using specific types of organic esters in the basestock blend ....This lowers the level of sulphated ash in the formulation while maintaining the extended drain capability.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back