Texaco/Havoline 5W30 w/Particle Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again Thanks to Stinky Peterson, our BITOG library of current oils is growing:

-

I'm seriously thinking about not using M1 anymore and saving some money and going with the Havoline.

These oils look good on VOA and UOA both. I change my Ranger every 5K with M1 and our Santa Fe every 7.5K with M1.

I may just run both with Havoline at 5K!

So many choices
pat.gif

Brian

Originally posted by Brian Miller:
[QB] I'm seriously thinking about not using M1 anymore and saving some money and going with the Havoline.

I remember ads with Bob Hope comparing conventional Havoline to Mobil 1. They must have been 20 to 25 years ago. With 5K OCI I think you'd be fine with Havoline and save yourself some $$$ too.

This is a VOA posted by Basser on 2-17-05 of Havoline GF-4 5W30. They don't even remotely resemble each other except for the viscosity. Is there that much difference between labs or samples of the same oil?

Boron 165
Moly 80
Magnesium 55
Calcium 2200
Phos 770
Zinc 980
Vis @ 100c 10.8
FP 435F

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
This is a VOA posted by Basser on 2-17-05 of Havoline GF-4 5W30. They don't even remotely resemble each other except for the viscosity. Is there that much difference between labs or samples of the same oil?

Boron 165
Moly 80
Magnesium 55
Calcium 2200
Phos 770
Zinc 980
Vis @ 100c 10.8
FP 435F

Yeah, this has kind of bugged me as well. It's probably the only thing that is keeping me from having Havoline in right now.

Brian

quote:

Boron 165
Moly 80
Magnesium 55
Calcium 2200
Phos 770
Zinc 980
Vis @ 100c 10.8
FP 435F

Another possible answer is that both analysis's are correct with the Butler Cat data being the most current.

A couple of month's ago, Carpy referred to a new Lubrizol add package that featured 300 ppm of Moly. What we may be seeing is a tweek in the add pack by Chevron, during the long, drawn out launch of GF-4, rather than discrepancies in labs.

I have a lot of confidence in Butler Cat reports, as Stinky isn't going to relase a UOA/VOA if the results don't make "sense".

quote:

Boron 165
Moly 80
Magnesium 55
Calcium 2200
Phos 770
Zinc 980
Vis @ 100c 10.8
FP 435F

I think Bassar's test might have been a test of the SL, GF-4 formulation. Judging from the amount of Calcium, this is probably the new SM, GF-4 formulation, which may explain the increased amount of molybdenum.

Michael

I just bought a case of the Havolin GF-4 at Advance Auto for (after rebate and cost of stamp
smile.gif
)..$1.10/quart. I am going to use this oil in a number of vehicles I take care of(5 or 6). I am anxious to see more information on the GF-4 Havoline.

Anyway thanks to Stinky for this info. I got very good service from him in ordering some test kits.
cheers.gif

[ March 20, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

My UOAs with GF-4 SM chevron show very similar ad levels to the above analysis, and mine were done my Blackstone. High moly and lower boron.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back