Mobil Clean 5000 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okaaayy... How do we explain my most recent VOA indicating no measurable sodium, potassium......???? And the hundreds of other UOA's which contain same, nada.????
I would be most happy to forward you e-mail the copy of the results so you can see for yourself in black and white..
I am [email protected] and will get the results to you pronto..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Great! the only reason I point that out. if you do a search in the UOA library, there were many cases of coolant leaks for that specific engine. have you had intake gaskets replaced in the past? There was one case where one guy had them replaced, they started leaking again 4 years later. It never hurts to run once a year UOA to make sure everything is alright.
cheers.gif

GeorgeCLS, regarding your "One disregarded our suggestion to pressure test the coolant system indicating that this forum indicated that these were normal levels of sodium and potassium for Mobil Clean 5000.."

And: "BTW, I was not referring to your instance but another other case where our glycol alert was disregarded resulting in catastrophic engine failure..."

I guess I'm not the only one doing a Mobil Clean 5000 UOA with AVLube and emailing BITOG links about it.
rolleyes.gif

And I should have said that other than your results, I haven't seen a single UOA or VOA with Na of at least 165 ppm.

HI George , i call the Mobil 800 tech line from time to time just to get a laugh and i have talked to LUCILE, she could not answer one of my questions,and i make them easy ones. That Mobil tech line has without a doubt the biggest idiots taking calls, i would never put any trust in any of thier responses. If you ask a question they cant handle the answer is ALWAYS..... thats proprietary information. Try calling and ask this question ..... how much synthetic is in Mobil 7500 and see what their response.

I'm no expert by any means, but would there be another compound that the machines are thinking is Na when it's not? Given the proprietary nature of a mfr's formulations, who knows what's *really* in the oil?

Never fear BITOG folks!

I'll get a sample to George next week and let's see what happens...

Thanks George for your help!
worshippy.gif

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks Bill. So far we have both Blackstone Labs and Butler Labs showing the presence of Na. Mobil's tech also confirmed this.

Drums 57, regarding your comment " i have talked to LUCILE, she could not answer one of my questions,and i make them easy ones. That Mobil tech line has without a doubt the biggest
idiots taking calls, i would never put any trust in any of thier responses."
Wow... Lucile has 20+ years of real world lubrication engineering experience, both field and product development. Lucile has her master's in chem and can field any real world lube question that a lube professional can ask. Lucile has incredible depth of knowledge, from a lube engineer's perspective.... Hmm, interesting you say they are idiots when I find, as a lube engineer, the Exxonmobil tech support to be a superb source of information and the best of the best that I work with.... Such a paradox of views..
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000

George could their be two Luciles that answer that 800#, maybe because of who you are you get to talk to people that the general public cannot speak with. My results calling the Mobil 800# is ask 5 different techs the same question and you will get 5 different answers. I ask anyone on BITOG to call 800-662-4525 and ask how much synthetic is in Mobil 7500 and see what they tell you. I guarantee you will not get the correct answer. My experience calling Mobil is they can NEVER answer my questions. BTW i have 19 years experience formulating engine lubricants, so when i talk to someone on this subject i can tell right from the get go if they know what they are talking about.

Someone please asnwer me this simple question.
All this talk about high levels of Na in the Clean 5000 is interesting.
All I want to know is, can too high a level of this Na being used as an additive (IF it is being used as an add) cause any internal problems other than false reads of coolant leaks???????????????????????????

[ November 19, 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Can too hight a level of Na being used as an add, create ANY issues internallly whatsoever? Any?

Mobil has tested this oil beyond belief.

They are one of the FEW oil companies that have a written warrenty for their oil. (and we all know how lawyers are..
twak.gif
So you know it's good to go)

I would run this oil with no worries.

The reason why I don't use it is because I'm the one here at BITOG who has a 300+ quart stash and very little Mobil oil in it...
grin.gif

But, Currenty my Moms truck is running Mobil 5000 on it and all is fine.

My Dad has a case of Mobil 5000 5w-20 which he got on sale and no worries running it in his Honda powered Vue.

Mobil, Pennzoil, Havoline, QS, Castrol and Chevron are oils I would use with no problems.
cheers.gif

(at least I would make sure they were blended before 9-1-05..)

All my stash is before that date...
grin.gif

Take care, Bill

While we are on this subject, I have a question about the Mobil Clean High Mileage... I noticed it is "energy conserving" while all other brands are not. How does Mobil create a high mileage oil a manage to keep it energy conserving? Is their HM any good?
I can only find 10w 30 at Advance or Autozone. No 5W 30 to be found anywhere...so now have a delemma about using 10/30 in the winter.

quote:

Someone please asnwer me this simple question.
All this talk about high levels of Na in the Clean 5000 is interesting.
All I want to know is, can too high a level of this Na being used as an additive (IF it is being used as an add) cause any internal problems other than false reads of coolant leaks???????????????????????????

Hi,

I'd use it in a SECOND.

No worries.

Just change it @4-5k and enjoy!
fruit.gif

It's a good oil.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Yes, and thanks Bill...
However...the question wasn't answered...
Can too hight a level of Na being used as an add, create ANY issues internallly whatsoever? Any?

"All I want to know is, can too high a level of this Na being used as an additive (IF it is being used as an add) cause any internal problems other than false reads of coolant leaks???????????????????????????"

Answer: Not if it is part of a balanced add pack designed for that chemistry.

For the Xth time use the product with confidence, whether it has Na as a add pack component, analysts that are experienced will be able to determine coolant NO matter what coolant chemistry is used. One component of a test does not a TOTAL test result make, at least for us.

Terry

While we are on this subject, I have a question about the Mobil Clean High Mileage... I noticed it is "energy conserving" while all other brands are not. How does Mobil create a high mileage oil a manage to keep it energy conserving? Is their HM any good?
I can only find 10w 30 at Advance or Autozone. No 5W 30 to be found anywhere...so now have a delemma about using 10/30 in the winter.

There is only one Lucile at Mobil tech support and, again, she has 20+ years of formulation, field engineering work and is NOT an idiot.. Moreover, she is one very incredible lubrication engineer and is capable of lubrication problem solving to the tens.. Lucile is the engineer of choice for lube professionals seeking help for problem lubrication issues. I take serious exception of the use of "idiot" for a person of such professional excellence...
Lucile is respected throughout the industry.....
There are proprietary aspects that Lulcile and other Mobil lube support folks cannot share due to proprietary interests. To declare Lucile an idiot for her having to deal with the constraints of intellectual property is, well, idiotic....
I do NOT work for Mobil and have no affiliation with ExxonMobil/Lucile other than needing technical assistance from tech support. Very simply, Lucile is among the best for a lube engineer needing help..... As for a person seeking proprietary blend information, forget it...

With respect to all who are involved in this post, lets stop it here. Nothing can be solved until we get the new round of Virgin Oil analysis on this oil. When that is received, a new topic on this oil can be started.

rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back