Mobil Clean 5000 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the format but I couldn't figure out how to post the PDF file format. They ran this sample twice.

Mobil Clean 5000 5W30

Aluminum 1
Iron 1
Moly 64
Boron 44
Silicon 1
Sodium 218
Calcium 829
Magnesium 4
Phosphorous 341
Zinc 347
Vis @ 200 F 59.1
Flashpoint 425
All other values were zero.

Blackstone Labs

They ran this sample twice. Are the low additive values a trend for the new formulations. And what's with the sodium?

Comments from Blackstone on this VOA:
"Well I'll be. We are shocked that Mobil has added sodium to this new oil they're producing, but there it is. We ran this sample twice to make sure it was there. Also look at the low levels of zinc dithiophosphate. We ran some Pennzoil last week that had low levels of zinc and phosphorus like this. We had the guy send in another sample so we could check and the levels were indeed that low. We assumed that Pennzoil had a bad batch to go out, but here it is in Mobil too. Is this a trend with the oil companies now?"

Now this is an interesting VOA. Thanks sully.
cheers.gif
Don't know what to make of it. Molekule will have to chime in.

Hmmm... looks like the oil companies are making a move to new adds that cannot be seen in a simple analysis.

WIth all that sodium, how could one ever spot coolant contamination?

Carpy... PLEASE tell us more!!!!
smile.gif

This oil has one heck of an odor to it, similar to Schaeffers but alot (and I mean alot) stronger.

Probable has something to do with the new GF4/SM standard. Has anyone done the 7500 mobil and the 2 new GF4 and EP M1's?

Well, that guy with the Pennzoil VOA sounds awfully familiar
wink.gif
. I'm amazed at the low add levels and all the sodium. Did someone spill a salt shaker in the batch at the processing plant?
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sully:

Sodium 218
Calcium 829
Magnesium 4
Phosphorous 341
Zinc 347
Vis @ 200 F 59.1
Flashpoint 425
All other values were zero.

even though sodium can be used as an additive aka redline. 218 is way too much to be used as an additive because how are we supposed to tell of a coolant leak with our UOAs?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Well, that guy with the Pennzoil VOA sounds awfully familiar
wink.gif
. I'm amazed at the low add levels and all the sodium. Did someone spill a salt shaker in the batch at the processing plant?
shocked.gif

Rings a bell huh, I can't wait to hear the explanation for this one.

offtopic.gif

hey guys

if people are questioning blackstone's accuracy. there is butler oil analysis that is a new site sponsor here. look at the home page or the banner above for more information.
welcome.gif
Butler oil analysis
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
even though sodium can be used as an additive aka redline. 218 is way too much to be used as an additive because how are we supposed to tell of a coolant leak with our UOAs?

I'd rather have them formulate a better oil, than formulate an oil that makes it easy to read a UOA.

I'm not doubting the accuracy of Blackstone's analysis. The explanation I'm looking for is how this oil and additive pack (what we see and what we don't see) provides protection in an engine. Mobil claims this oil is good out to 5000 miles under normal operating conditions. Gotta be something we're not seeing via analysis in this formulation.

Maybe Molakule or Terry can give us some insight on this. My curiosity is spiking!!! I've had this oil in my vehicle for about 600 miles and I'm fighting the urge to change it as I type this post. My oil drain pan and a case of Schaeffers are sitting at the ready.

Take a look at the "Current 5W-20 Roundup" post and you will also see that some of the other new oils in 5W-20 are now coming with high sodium content. Hmmmm.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
218 is way too much to be used as an additive because how are we supposed to tell of a coolant leak with our UOAs?

Excess Potassium?
dunno.gif

Many new antifreeze formulations don't have Potassium.

Another chapter in the Days of our oils.
lol.gif

Last time a bunch of people jumped on Blackstone, what's it going to be this time
dunno.gif

-T

220 ppm sodium is not an unreasonable number to be seen in a new oil. As someone mentioned it does make it a little harder to spot a coolant leak.

I can't speak for the new coolants as there are a lot we haven't tested, but most of the OLD coolants don't have potassium. The extended life coolants I'm familiar with do have potassium but then again most are diesel engine coolants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back