Chevron 15W40 W/particle count

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Again, look at the ZDDP #, much more inline with AVLUBE. AVLUBE showed much higher ZDDP in the Mobil 1 R compared to Blackstone Labs. Just an observation. Wonder why?
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Again, look at the ZDDP #, much more inline with AVLUBE. AVLUBE showed much higher ZDDP in the Mobil 1 R compared to Blackstone Labs. Just an observation. Wonder why?
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

Buster, I can think of a couple of reasons.

We sometimes see some pretty significant differences especially in bulk oil. This can be caused by the distributor if he doesn't completely drain his tanks before delivering another oil. This sample was a bulk delivery so this is a possibility but this supplier is very good so I would be surprised.

Another possibility is it could be due to slightly different calibration methods used by the labs and the choice of calibration standards.

Ideally the highest calibration standard should be higher than the highest expected value. If the lab usually measures an element at 1000 ppm they would want to choose a standard at say 1500 (I think we use a 1600). Since the additives levels frequently change it is not always possible to have the "best" standard on hand so it is possible to be using a high standard that is below the highest sample value. Anything outside the calibration curve could have some error.

Usually this isn't a problem but it can be if the customer is comparing additive levels.

Stinky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back