Pennzoil 10w-30 API SM - GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler Cat SOS Labs

I snail mailed mailed this sample Saturday , the results emailed and received today .

Yellow Bottle Pennzoil
patriot.gif

Lead 2
Aluminum 3
Si 1 - new defoamant or lack of old type
smile.gif

Moly 216
Boron 58
Magnesium 5
Calcium 1763
Phos 701
Zinc 824
Vi @ 100c 10.6
ISO 18/13
Ferrous Debris 7
PM 0

This oil is a much lighter color than the SL GF-3 was . Guess they removed some dye . Molakule has stated it is a fairly expensive product to place in oil .

The lab alerted me that this sample contained a performance additive that shows as a trace amount of glycol .

Whatcha think about this SM oil ?
smile.gif

[ January 13, 2005, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

This is a nice oil. Pennzoil seems to consistently have a nice additive pack.
smile.gif
I wouldn't hesistate to use it. Been awhile since I used Pennzoil, but if I remember it is a little more than most oils on the shelf. Pennzoil is a premium dino though, and certainly worth the extra $.

This is an impressive additive package. If only Pennzoil would place it in a Group IV/Group V base oil. I guess that I am allowed to dream.

Lots of Moly and Boron. Unlike the SL spec, the new SMs have a lot of variation.

-T

Thanks, Motorbike, for contributing the VOA.

I pulled up GF-3 comparison numbers from a couple of Pennz 10W-30 Jeep UOA's from August, 2004.
code:

GF-4 GF-3

Moly 216 60

Boron 58 80

Magnes 5 0

Calcium 1763 2125

Phos 701 745

Zinc 824 957-876

While Moly is up, both Boron & Calcium are down, possibly indicating a decrease in a borate form of detergent/dispersant.

I think the additional moly is seeing dual use, as an antioxidant, rather than strictly anti-wear.

Yes, I like the look of all that moly.

I'd like to see new versions of Havoline and Chevron 10W-30 for comparison. These brands have always appeared very similar in UOAs/VOAs.

--- Bror Jace

Motorbike, Thanks for the VOA!

Seeing this wonderful VOA with all that moly brings makes me glad I stocked up on this oil when it was on sale before year's end!
smile.gif

I haven't been a member here very long, but I've learned a great deal from you guys. Thanks for posting the info Motorbike.

Thanks, I just saw it. Should have looked more carefully.
pat.gif

The Havoline looks different from pennzoil now ... more boron, less moly.

--- Bror Jace

I know this sounds like a silly, hype-related question...But would anyone care to speculate on what the "Time Release Protection" molecules that Pennzoil so proudly displays on thier new SM/GF-4 bottle might be?

quote:

But would anyone care to speculate on what the "Time Release Protection" molecules that Pennzoil so proudly displays on thier new SM/GF-4 bottle might be?

Sure, over "time" the tightly bound molecules that make your 10w-30 a 10 weight un-coil and it "protects" as a 30 weight.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:

quote:

But would anyone care to speculate on what the "Time Release Protection" molecules that Pennzoil so proudly displays on thier new SM/GF-4 bottle might be?

Sure, over "time" the tightly bound molecules that make your 10w-30 a 10 weight un-coil and it "protects" as a 30 weight.
wink.gif

Wow, and am I to assume that these proprietary molecules are a Pennzoil exclusive?
rolleyes.gif

All kidding aside, I decided to buy some of this stuff over the weekend. My Volvo has seen a steady regiment of Chevron Supreme(SL) during the past 1.5yrs. This will be my first SM "experiment".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back