New GF-4 Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin analysis doesn't say much, but this is definitely a GF-4 Mobil 1. The product date was 11/22/04. I'm guessing their are things we are not seeing in the blend that a spectro won't pick up, like all oils on here. Not much new but they clearly rely on Calcium/Boron/Little Moly. Wouldn't surprise me if the AN's are in their oils if they havn't been already.

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 55
Nickel 1
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 150
Silicon 4
Sodium 5
Calcium 2500
Magnesium 7
Phosphorus 677
Zinc 749
Barium 0
Sus Viscosity 60.7
Flashpoint 415
Fuel Insolubles
TBN -Not tested usually 11-12.

[ January 04, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I bit of Moly, a dose of Boron and a reduction in Calcium. We'll need to remember that M1 isn't Na nor Si free from it's VOA state.

Thanks for the VOA!

Looks like they " might " be using the same moly as the M1 0w-30R does these days . I used parenthesis for those that speed read
tongue.gif

Looks like a bit lower Ca too .... correct ?

A great oil at a great price any way you look at it .
cheers.gif

Go Mobil !
grin.gif

I don't like what I see! It looks like the same SL formula with reduced levels of additives. This SM rating is looking like a step backwards, IMO.

buster,

You the man, dude! I was waiting for you to post this. Time to go grab all the M1 SL I can.
burnout.gif

quote:

Looks like a bit lower Ca too .... correct ?

I doubt it but it's possible. I think maybe it's a lab variation +/- 20% they say. Maybe George can run a VOA of a recent batch to compare?
dunno.gif

Some of the VOA's might start looking weak, but as stated before, other things could be in it we can't verify. Amsoil/GC is like that. I guess we will see as time rolls on when the UOA's start comming in.

Would this new SM rating affect the 5W-40 T&SUV as far as additives? I really hope not, as that will be my new standarized oil for my vehicles.

Man, I'm freaking out!
gr_eek2.gif

LastZ,

I only hope that UOA's prove that longer drains are more "do-able" and that wear doesn't go up from SL formulas.

I do agree, these formulations look weaker than their SL counterparts. Run to TSC and grab the oils, probably Chevron and Pennzoil with the dust on them. I bet they're ALL SL formula oils as their turnover is much slower than that of an AutoZone or WalMart.

Check out Bassers VOA on the GF-4 Havoline. The Havoline has higher amounts of moly,boron,magnesium,phosphorous, zinc and a higher flashpoint and only 300 ppm less calcium. Kinda makes one wonder.

Looks like Im going to have to stock up on the older formulations ...... ugh like I need more oil. Valvoline synpower is looking more and more useful daily.

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Would this new SM rating affect the 5W-40 T&SUV as far as additives? I really hope not, as that will be my new standarized oil for my vehicles.

Man, I'm freaking out!
gr_eek2.gif

If anything it might get beefed up for " CI-4 Plus " . I dont believe the reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus is required for 40 weights at any rate.

What stands out is the reduction in flash point. Not sure how accurate blackstone is on flash point but the lowest mobil 1 VOA was 430 with the 5w-30 at 445. Other than that is looks like a slight reduction in all adatives. I have two cases of the SL now might need to stock up. Wonder if they will stock SL and SM at the same time. Probably not I would guess.
rolleyes.gif

I personally think either I had a bad quality batch of Mobil 1, which is rare, or Blackstone messed up the test. It happens. No big deal IMO. I don't worry about the GF-4 M1 not livng up to the task. It will compensate for the reduced ZDDP elsewhere.

The Boron is a multifuntional AW/FM component as well as one of the detergents, so it is slowly replacing ZDDP. Same here for calcium.

All the additive makers are currently working on ZDDp replacement addditves. Chemists are working overtime.

Does anyone have know how this alteration in the formulation will affect the pourability point for the M1 oils? I know TR3-2001SE said above that the flash point is affected, so, can it be assumed that the pourability point will be like? Thanks.

Don't just go by one sample for the flash point. This could be just a bad sample.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back