Havoline 5w-30 GF-4 dino virgin sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine at a local Chevrolet dealship did this for me. I ask to have it done even though I have been using Mobil DC, because my gas mileage is down with the new DC, and I wanted to see how the new Havoline is formulated.
I deleted the wear metals section because they were all
Boron 165
Moly 80
Magnesium 55
Calcium 2200
Phos 770
Zinc 980
Vis @ 100c 10.8
FP 435F

Hey this one has a nice additive pack, and GF-4 no less.
smile.gif
I changed both my folks cars with the Havoline 5w-30 GF-4 dino. Looks like I'll stick with this and keep using it.
cheers.gif

Havoline has always been good oil. I've used it almost exclusively since '71 and never had an oil related issue. Presently have 282,000 on '97 Grand Prix and got over 300,000 on '89 Grand Am with 5000 mile oci.

No wear metals, it must be pretty clean. No worrying about prefilling for me.
grin.gif

I should have some UOAs coming on this stuff in a month or two so thanks for the VOA.

-T

I'll pull a sample of GF-4 Havoline 5w-30 in my car with about 3500 miles on it. That'll be a good test to see if the new GF-4 energy conserving oils still thin ridiculously. It'll be all highway miles, 3500 rpm + sustained with the gear driven Toyota cams. I'm thinkin it'll still come out deep into 20 weight range.

Basser does your Havoline sample have SL on the back of the bottle? I was curious because when looking in the basement today, my bottle of Havoline is GF-4 but is also SL. I wonder if my bottle is a in-between formula?

quote:

Originally posted by Bobert:
Basser does your Havoline sample have SL on the back of the bottle? I was curious because when looking in the basement today, my bottle of Havoline is GF-4 but is also SL. I wonder if my bottle is a in-between formula?

Nope. The API was a bit behind on selling licenses for SM, so oil companies weren't able to put the SM rating on the bottle yet I believe.

I've been sold on Chevron/Havoline dino since joining this site and this only reinforces my feelings. I'll do a UOA on our Cavalier to see how the GF-4 compares to GF-3 at 3,500 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
It looks like the formulation of Havoline and Chevron Supreme GF-4 are completely different. We have several UOA on the new Chevron GF-4 and the Boron is like 50,Moly is like 50, Calicum is like 1500 or less and phos and zinc are much lower.
They are getting excellent results with the Chevron Supreme GF-4 so I am guessing a different add pack Havoline vs Chevron. Will be interesting to see the UOA on the Havoline come in.

UOA levels are going to be lower, so I don't think you can compare this way.

-T

It looks like the formulation of Havoline and Chevron Supreme GF-4 are completely different. We have several UOA on the new Chevron GF-4 and the Boron is like 50,Moly is like 50, Calicum is like 1500 or less and phos and zinc are much lower.
They are getting excellent results with the Chevron Supreme GF-4 so I am guessing a different add pack Havoline vs Chevron. Will be interesting to see the UOA on the Havoline come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back