It has a nice high TBN,
12 listed in the product info,
13.1 measured by Blackstone,
and CI-4 rating but
no specific VW approval rating.
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Product Info

I'm interested in seeing an analysis of virgin
Valvoline SynPower 5W40
to compare to the PBEX if anyone has one.
It only has a CF-4 rating and TBN of 10 per
Valvolines product info but has a VW 505.00
approval rating.
Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil Product Info

Does anyone know why Valvoline does not use
the same format for their diffent products like these 2 above.
It makes comparison of them difficult.
For example Synpower has a nice table at the
bottom that PBEX doesn't.
What's the flash point of PBEX?
I don't see it.
Do other manufacturers do the same?

[ March 06, 2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Valvoline Premium Blue is not a 5W-40, it is a 15W-40. It says in the spec sheet that the base oil is a Group II.

Humm, the additive levels of the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme are different comparing the UOA located here.

The Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc levels are higher in the UOA. Moly and Boron levels are somewhat different also. Different labs seem to get some numbers which vary by quite a bit.
dunno.gif

code:

VOA UOA

Iron 1 18

Chromium 0 0

Nickel 0 0

Alum 0 4

Copper 0 5

Lead 0 1

Tin 0 2

Cadmium - 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium - 0

Silicon 2 7

sodium 1 3

Potassium 0 0

Moly 64 91

Antimony - 12

Manganese 0 1

Lithium - 0

Boron 89 119

Magnesium 9 174

Calcium 2627 3616

Barium 0 0

Phosphorus 851 1454

Zinc 967 1511

Here is the correct product information sheet for Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme

Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt 89.4
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt 14.7
Viscosity Index 172
CCS Viscosity @ - 30 C, cP 6300
Borderline Pumping Viscosity @ - 35 C, cP 17.300
High Temp. High Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, cP 3.9
Pour Point, deg. C -39
Sulfated Ash, % 1.6
Total Base Number (D-2896) 12
Foam / Aeration Tests Pass

Bill's product information sheet link is for the dino Valvoline Premium Blue product, not the synthetic "extreme".
spaz.gif

The group III based 5w-40 HDD oils may be a really good tool for those that can use a 13 -14 cSt @212F oil and want low wear rates.

I have not seen this valvoline oil in analysis at all. Did Cummins spec this oil ?

Valvo and Cummins were working closely in the past on the Blue line.

I have seen the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 in a broad spectrum of engines and it shows very well. It will knock off a small perrcentage of fuel economy in the smaller engines but the low wear MAY be a good tradeoff.

I add 2 ounces of LC to the Rotella T "syn" and then adjust 1 - 3 ounces LC every 1000 or so very successfully in diesel and gas engine applications.

A recent 2.2 chevy engine UOA posted here had a overheating issue due to a external head gasket leak and that the shell 5w-40 T was used with excellent results.

As I recall the first version of the 5w-40 while the correct MSDS was available showed 20-30% PAO , the group III and a group I carrier like most use . That formula can be seen on the single universal average here

I would think for awhile yet both these formulas will be on the shelves at NAPA's ect . Finding which one is the old stock may or may not matter much though as they seem to meet the same specs .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
...both these formulas will be on the shelves at NAPA's ect . Finding which one is the old stock may or may not matter much though as they seem to meet the same specs .

Ok, I did not realize there was a formula change.
pat.gif
Possibly the differences here between this VOA and UOA--plus maybe some differences between labs.

code:

VOA UOA

Iron 1 18

Chromium 0 0

Nickel 0 0

Alum 0 4

Copper 0 5

Lead 0 1

Tin 0 2

Cadmium - 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium - 0

Silicon 2 7

sodium 1 3

Potassium 0 0

Moly 64 91

Antimony - 12

Manganese 0 1

Lithium - 0

Boron 89 119

Magnesium 9 174

Calcium 2627 3616

Barium 0 0

Phosphorus 851 1454

Zinc 967 1511

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Valvoline Premium Blue is not a 5W-40, it is a 15W-40.

Sorry everyone, my mistake in creating the link!
Put in the Premium Blue URL instead of the PBEX!
pat.gif

It is a little confusing but there is the
Premium Blue which is 15w40 petro oil and the
Premium Blue Extreme which is 5w40 synthetic oil
per the product info pages.
My original analysis is for the 5w40 PBEX.
Here's the correct links I think!

Valvoline Premium Blue Engine Oil
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Product Info

Thanks Bill,

I bought some of this oil recently on sale. it came with a $5 rebate. The Premium Blue Extreme is Group III oil. It is rated as energy conserving. I think that this oil is a real sleeper that has been ignored by the board.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Blazek:
Blackstone analysis of a virgin sample of
Valvoline 5W40 Prem Blue Extreme ...

What does not make sense is the zinc and phosphorus levels are as low as the new SM oils. Shouldn't HDEO have much higher levels like shown in the UOA in a previous post?

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

Blackstone analysis of a virgin sample /QUOTE]What does not make sense is the zinc and phosphorus levels are as low as the new SM oils. Shouldn't HDEO have much higher levels like shown in the UOA in a previous post?

Just no telling with Valvoline . That data sheet shows 1.6 SA and I am having a hard time trusting that the VOA oil would arrive at that if tested and that a formula like the data sheet shows would not use Si as anti-foam .

This looks like a CI-4 plus motor oil to me .

Bill wrote:
quote:

I'm using it in my VW Golf TDI.
It has a nice high TBN,
12 listed in the product info,
13.1 measured by Blackstone,
and CI-4 rating but
no specific VW approval rating.

According to the spec sheet, this oil has a sulfated ash content of 1.6%. I believe this to be higher than VW allows in any of its fairly new engines. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

quote:

I have not seen this valvoline oil in analysis at all. Did Cummins spec this oil ?

Terry we had the local Cummins dealer due some warranty work on one of their engines (M11 I believe) in a Case 1850k Dozer. If memory serves they "recommend" the premium blue and there was some listed on the invoice under parts used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back