sodium 2
magnesium 878
zinc 1581
calcium 2150
phosphorous 1238
boron 83
TBN 8.20* *Amsoil claim 12.00???
visc @40c 57
How do these numbers stack up to what you guys know about this Amsoil product?

How old is this sample roughly? I was told today that the product data sheet has been updated to 2/05 yet the website still shows 3/03.

Zinc and Phosphorus levels are high so I'm assuming it's older stock. TBN is low but it's most likely a lab error.

[ March 18, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I had a VOA on this same oil recently. The data is as follows:

ALUMINUM 0 0
CHROMIUM 0 0
IRON 2 4
COPPER 0 0
LEAD 0 0
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 0 5
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 0
BORON 64 45
SILICON 4 5
SODIUM 0 2
CALCIUM 1722 3104
MAGNESIUM 598 229
PHOSPHORUS 822 905
ZINC 958 1033
BARIUM 0 0
first number is test oil value - second number is Universal Average

TBN 12.0

SUS
VISCOSITY
@ 210 ºF 63.9 56-64

Flashpoint F 430 >365

Water 0 0

Insolubles % 0 forst number is test oil value - second number is what the oil should be

Lab comments: No problems showed up in this sample of virgin Amsoil 0W/30 oil. The viscosity was in the middle of the 30W range. The iron is probably from steel holding tanks and transfer equipment. Calcium and magnesium and detergent/dispersant additives, while phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives. No moisture or insolubles were found. The TBN read 12.0, quite high. We consider a used oil TBN of 1.0 or less to be too low. This oil is in serviceable condition and should do well in your engine.

Amsoil could very well be using the new Lubrizol additive package (Lubrizol Act). This is the latest trend in Europe, ie the ACEA C1/C2/C3 specification. With a TBN of 12, and those low additive levels, it's a strong possibility.

I spoke with an Amsoil tech about a week ago and he said any orders placed should be filled with the latest formulation. Maybe TooSlick can verify this for those of us interested in using this particular oil.

JBas,

The recent Honda Accord analysis using this oil showed the new additive chemistry. The Series 2000 is one of their best selling engine oils, so any current product will be the new stuff.

I'm sending off a sample to Oil Analyzers to be tested from a case I got two weeks ago - I don't think either of these baseline analyses is particularly accurate, FWIW.

I believe Amsoil is working to reduce phosphorus and sulphated ash levels like everyone else,while maintaining their long drain capability. It should be interesting to see how these new formulations perform. I've seen nothing to data to indicate the regular 5w-30/10w-30 are going this route, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do ....

TS

quote:

It should be interesting to see how these new formulations perform.

Definitely. I will also like to see if Amsoil's valve train wear goes up as others have stated. My guess it won't bc almost all oils today, other then M1, have low ZDDP and are doing very well.

Thanks for sending off a sample Ted.
cheers.gif

TooSlick, you mention that FWIW you dont think the analysis is particularly accurate. With me being fairly new to this, how do we know whats a good read? Is it the report which tells us what we want to hear?

Just that your baseline TBN was too low....This formulation has a TBN of about 12.5 when tested using ASTM D2896. Even if the lab you sent the sample to used the more conservative ASTM D-4739 method, the TBN should have been about 11.0-11.5.

I have no issues with the rest of the data and I believe the additive levels are accurate.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back