Boron 116
Silicon 3
Sodium 1
Calcium 2060
Magnesium 4
Phosphorus 772
Zinc 802
Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @210F 60.6 (Should be 59-68)
Flashpoint (F) 420 (Should be >365)
Fuel % 0
Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0

Thanks for the VOA! I just picked up several jugs this past week, all with August and September date stamps. Even though the bottle labels don't mention GF-4, I'm thinking that this is GF-4 given the reduced Phosphorus and Zinc levels.

BTW, isn't this one of the best add packs for plain-jane dino oil that we've seen outside of Chevron's offerings?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Thanks for the VOA! I just picked up several jugs this past week, all with August and September date stamps. Even though the bottle labels don't mention GF-4, I'm thinking that this is GF-4 given the reduced Phosphorus and Zinc levels.

BTW, isn't this one of the best add packs for plain-jane dino oil that we've seen outside of Chevron's offerings?

I was thinking that they were just using up whatever existing GL3 labeled bottles before they start using the GL4 labeled bottles.

It seems like a decent oil, I've been using this for the Auto-Rx clean and rinse phases on my car and my wife's car.

I've had problems with both cars (2000 Toyota Celica GT-S and 2002 Olds Alero with 2.2L 4-cylinder) shearing this down to a 20W (both cars will also shear M1 5/10W-30 down to a 20W in about 3k miles) so it's not too bad.

Both of the UOA's I have on the Auto-Rx cleaning phase didn't show anything really surprising (ie bad) using this oil.

Thanks for the info. I started using Pennzoil because I can get it cheap and it great stuff. I must say that I have never seen Mobil 1 10W-30 shear in my car. It stays a consistant 30W.

If your engine can beat M1 10W-30 down...
dunno.gif

I've never used Pennzoil til last oci, but I may become a convert. I got a 5qt. jug for $6.44

Looks like the Ca and increased boron approach will compensate for the lower zddp, much like M1 did.

Looks like they are using about 100-150ppm more calcium and doubled the boron and have probably changed the type moly .

I bet it's great oil .

Ohh yeah ,one of my cars with a 3 quart sump can beat M1 10w-30 down to 9.3 cSt's in 3500 miles .

It will come back up when ran longer though and the TBN can hang in long enough to do it .
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Looks like they are using about 100-150ppm more calcium and doubled the boron and have probably changed the type moly .

I bet it's great oil .

Ohh yeah ,one of my cars with a 3 quart sump can beat M1 10w-30 down to 9.3 cSt's in 3500 miles .

It will come back up when ran longer though and the TBN can hang in long enough to do it .
patriot.gif

The sump in my Celica is about 4.75 quarts
My wife's Alero is 5 dead on

Wow a 9.3 cSt's in 3500, I feel sorry for that oil
smile.gif

Anyways, what is it with manufacturer's putting in smaller and smaller oil pans? I heard that the new Corvette has lost a quart capacity in the C6 vs the C5.

quote:

Anyways, what is it with manufacturer's putting in smaller and smaller oil pans? I heard that the new Corvette has lost a quart capacity in the C6 vs the C5.

Yep, it's true, they now specify 5.5 quarts instead of 6.5. Here is some info on why that was done:

quote:

The LS2’s new oil pan was developed to ensure oil delivery commensurate with Corvette’s high-performance capability. Extensive track testing has shown the new design to provide better oil control under the extreme demands of high-rpm/high g-force driving maneuvers. The elimination of the previous “gull wing” oil pan design also reduces the engine’s oil capacity from 6.5 quarts to 5.5 quarts with a dry filter.

quote:

Originally posted by CincyGTS:
I've had problems with both cars (2000 Toyota Celica GT-S and 2002 Olds Alero with 2.2L 4-cylinder) shearing this down to a 20W (both cars will also shear M1 5/10W-30 down to a 20W in about 3k miles) so it's not too bad.

How far down did it shear back? If it didn't shear back drastically, 'm thinking that it probably doesn't matter much as this oil is barely a 30wt and would shear back to a high 20wt in no time. Why spend more money on the 20wts when this is almost a 20wt anyway?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Ohh yeah ,one of my cars with a 3 quart sump can beat M1 10w-30 down to 9.3 cSt's in 3500 miles.

Since the specs are 9.8-10.0 cSt depending where you get them on the Mobil website, and given batch to batch variances, and given possible contaimination during use, and finally lab variability, do you think what you're seeing is severe shearing?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/labtest.html

dunno.gif

[ October 06, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back