BORON 0
SILICON 6
SODIUM 1
CALCIUM 3228
MAGNESIUM 3
PHOSPHORUS 841
ZINC 993
BARIUM 0
If you have any questions about this report plese ask I transfered it but fresh from Blackstone.
grin.gif

[ July 21, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: dropitby ]

I like this add pack: a good does of moly and LOTS of calcium.

I'll be changing the oil in my van this weekend, so I think I'll give this Start Up a try.

It looks pretty decent!

I don't know if I would pay $2.50 a quart for it though.

Thanks for the VOA.A lot of us were eager to see what was "in it"
cheers.gif

This stuff's claim to fame is "unique polarized molecules."

Anyone want to take a stab on what that is? An ester?
confused.gif

From this VOA, it doesn't appear to be a metallic additive ... but I suppose it might be part of that calcium number.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
This stuff's claim to fame is "unique polarized molecules."

Anyone want to take a stab on what that is? An ester?

From the Castrol web site:

"Castrol GTX Start Up™ uses polarized ester molecules that are attracted to the engine's metal surfaces. These molecules are then in place to provide protection before the engine ever turns on."

"Castrol GTX Start Up™ is ... is formulated with a percentage of synthetic base oil to provide superior protection ..."

My guess is that this oil has about 15%-20% Group V (esters) base oil, with the rest being Group II. This would account for the price point of this oil being higher than the Syntec synthetic blend. (Ironically, 15%-20% is about how much Group V is in regular Syntec, too, but the rest is Group III—and in some cases PAO.)

My prediction is that this domestic "Magnatec" will wind up being Castrol's best "bang for the buck" oil.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
My prediction is that this domestic "Magnatec" will wind up being Castrol's best "bang for the buck" oil.

G-man, I disagree solely due the oil's cost..just under $3/qt! Too many bucks for the bang in my book. GTX HM seems to be the best bargain in the Castrol product list.

To bad they didn't select a price point just under $2/qt., this would be one of the hottest selling "blends" if they did.

This oil sells here for $2.99/quart at Kragen. Seems way too expensive. I'd rather go with synthetic SuperTech 5/10W-30 from Wal-Mart at $3.01 or pay extra $1 per quart for Mobil 1.

I also find it funny that they don't call this a synthetic blend.
rolleyes.gif

I wonder if they are trying to find ways of selling "better" oils to people who are averse to the term "synthetic" and their polling/testing shows them some people absolutely, positively won't buy anything with the "S" word on it?
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I also find it funny that they don't call this a synthetic blend.

Well, they don't call Magnatec a synthetic blend either.

Also, I think Castrol NA doesn't want this oil cutting into sales of Syntec Blend.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
So, it took a High Mileage hype and Start-Up hype to get real synthetics' back into Castrol?

Incredible.

Not quite. Syntec, even after the swtich from PAO as the primary base oil component, still has some Group V esters in the base oil blend.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Primarily because the GroupIII doesn't have much seal swell.

Same reason it's added to PAO-based oils.
grin.gif

Off topic, but any opinions on the seal conditioning agent in ST synthetic blend 5/10W-30? At about $1.68/qt. this brew might be a less expensive alternative if it's got ester in it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back