Virgin Valvoline Synthetic MaxLife OA (10w30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs:

This samples shows 2ppm of iron, whoch could possibly be from corrosion in a storage or transfer tank or other handling equipment. This is a common find in virgin oil and not a problem. The TBN was strong at 10.2. TBN readings usually start out arounf 10 to 12 and decline as the oil is used, showing that the additives are being depleted. If the oil is run for a long extended use, the TBN can get down to 1.0 or lower, which is considered a low reading. Molybdenum is an anti-wear additive, same for zine and phosphorus. Calcium is a detergent/dispersant additive.

Iron: 2
Molybdenum: 192
Calcium 2797
Boron: 5
Silicon: 5
Sodium: 1
Magnesium: 7
Phosphorus: 634
Zinc: 753

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 64.6 [High end of 10w30]

Flashpoint: 430F

Fuel/Antifreeze/water/insolubles: 0 (as expected)

Well, the Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife is very similar to my UOA of Castrol GTX Highmilage 5w30.

Going solely by flashpoint, I'd have to say that this oil appears to actually be a synthetic base (POA or Ester), or have some REALLY good additives to prevent burning.

Thoughts?

quote:

Originally posted by gerhardb:

Going solely by flashpoint, I'd have to say that this oil appears to actually be a synthetic base (POA or Ester), or have some REALLY good additives to prevent burning.

Thoughts?

The MSDS shows this oil is group III .

I find it interesting to make a synthetic soley for high mile vehicles that generally kill an engine oil early from ring blowby .

My opinion is in cost vs performance I'd pick any of the better HM oils to go head to head against this oil for 5k miles in most engines needing a HM oil then dump it at 1/2 the price .

Thanks for the VOA
cheers.gif

You were actually able to get an MSDS for the Sythetic MaxLife??

If it's GIII, what are they adding to ge the flashpoint so high?

quote:

Originally posted by gerhardb:
You were actually able to get an MSDS for the Sythetic MaxLife??

If it's GIII, what are they adding to ge the flashpoint so high?

Walmartstores.com hands out the MSDS's

That flash point is not high in comparison to some lesser oils like the

Citgo 10w-30 HM 469F
Mobil Drive Clean Blend 10w-40 HM 440F
Phillips straight 30wt dino around 490F
Citgo straight 40wt around 500F

One can't judge an oil soley by the flash point anyway . The Synergyn is one of the better oils anywhere and the flash point is only like 410F or close to it and that's lower than Chevron Supreme dino which I think is 430F.

[ May 26, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

This samples shows 2ppm of iron, whoch could possibly be from corrosion in a storage or transfer tank or other handling equipment. This is a common find in virgin oil and not a problem.

Some iron comes from the Anti-Oxidant and/or the Metal Deactivator additive packages.

Just make the necessary subtraction when you receive your UOA's.

Thanks for running this!! I just changed the oil in the 97 Cirrus last night. It has been on MaxLife Synthetic, and I drew a sample to send to Dyson at Blackstone. I will post the results when they come in! I think last time Blackstone had them the same day they recieved the sample!!

Once again, Vavoline is using weak additive packages. Nothing new here, but nice dose of moly.

Does this appear to be an oil of choice? It is more $ than Mobil-1. Any forseen benefits of using this over Mobil-1? Would it help to better seal the piston during combustion over M1? Given the choice of sealing leaks, cleaning out the engine, maybe even hoping for better pistin ring seal, does this MaxLife synthetic show benefits over others? Would Mobil-1 do equally well? Comments?

quote:

Originally posted by DSteven:
How would this maxlife synthetic do with a bottle of the maxlife engine protector mixed in? Would that help the additive package or just add viscosity? Thanks!

Why would Valvoline need to put out a product that enhances their add pack? Shouldn't they just put those additives into their "synthetic" oils? Heck, they're making money hand over fist charging group IV prices for a group III oil.

I just see it as a rip-off from Valvo no matter what angle I look at it. The SuperTech synth oils are a much better value as you're being charged a fair price for a group III product...and not being lead to believe that additional products could enhance the crankcase experience. For Valvo, it's money & marketing.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

How would this maxlife synthetic do with a bottle of the maxlife engine protector mixed in? Would that help the additive package or just add viscosity? Thanks!

Why would Valvoline need to put out a product that enhances their add pack? Shouldn't they just put those additives into their "synthetic" oils? Heck, they're making money hand over fist charging group IV prices for a group III oil.

I just see it as a rip-off from Valvo no matter what angle I look at it. The SuperTech synth oils are a much better value as you're being charged a fair price for a group III product...and not being lead to believe that additional products could enhance the crankcase experience. For Valvo, it's money & marketing.

Agreed.

If there were some advantage (economic or otherwise) to Valvoline's "Build Your Own Oil System," it would make sense.

But for $4+, the oil shouldn't need anything at all added to it.

MR

Yes, I agree that the Valvoline is a good marketing hype and makes them lots of $$ (I don't really have a lot of like for the company)...however, the maxlife oils have been the only oil to seal up leaks, so I like to use it for a few oil changes before going to Mobil-1. Cost, and the fact Valvoline rips us off all they can, aside, would the Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic combined with the MaxLife Engine Protector be a good combo? Thanks!!

quote:

Yes, I agree that the Valvoline is a good marketing hype and makes them lots of $$ (I don't really have a lot of like for the company)...however, the maxlife oils have been the only oil to seal up leaks, so I like to use it for a few oil changes before going to Mobil-1. Cost, and the fact Valvoline rips us off all they can, aside, would the Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic combined with the MaxLife Engine Protector be a good combo? Thanks!!

I personally doubt that adding an additive to your oil, valvoline or otherwise, is a good idea unless you are attempting to solve a speicific problem.

If seal problems are your concern, why not try Auto-RX and follow their directions?

They have a specific procedure for seal realted issues. Obvoiusly, a damaged seal will not be repaired by this... but a seal that has lost elasticity might.

Gerhard

Let's try this discussion again, except at $2 per quart!!!

Get to your nearest Autozone before it is all gone!

Tim

Good amount of Moly and Calcium in a group III for $2. I think it sounds good. I got some of that for our old 91 Accord and I'm going to use the $2 Havoline on our 90 Maxima after it's completed its 2nd Auto-Rx cycle.

this might not be the greatest full synthetic copared to others but,for 2.00 a quart i will take it any day over the others(its on sale at autozone)when price goes regular at 4.00+ then of course i'll go for mobil1 synthetic.

can it be used in newer cars or is it just for the older higher mileage ones? Newer meaning a car with 5k and a car with 46k.

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
can it be used in newer cars or is it just for the older higher mileage ones? Newer meaning a car with 5k and a car with 46k.

"MaxLife Synthetic is safe for new and rebuilt engines and will not void new car warranties."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back