Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV OAI/CTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV, analyzed by OAI/CTC.
Not sure which represents the batch number, but printed on the bottle is the following:
XO8B4 RN4869

Here are the numbers.
code:

Iron 2

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Tin 0

Aluminum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 4

Boron 39

Sodium 0

Magnesium 458

Calcium 2023

Barium 0

Phosphorus 994

Zinc 1352

Molybdenum 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel
Water 0

Glycol NEG

Nitration 10

Oxidation 15

Visc100 14.6

TBN 11.2

I guess what I find most interesting is that it reads oxidation and nitration numbers higher than 0.

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
Not sure which represents the batch number, but printed on the bottle is the following:
XO8B4 RN4869

Here are the numbers.
code:

Iron 2

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Tin 0

Aluminum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 4

Boron 39

Sodium 0

Magnesium 458

Calcium 2023

Barium 0

Phosphorus 994

Zinc 1352

Molybdenum 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel
Water 0

Glycol NEG

Nitration 10

Oxidation 15

Visc100 14.6

TBN 11.2

I guess what I find most interesting is that it reads oxidation and nitration numbers higher than 0.

Boron definitely does seem to be lower than
what we've seen in VOA of Delvac 1.

So, maybe this is reformulated D1 and not
identical to D1.

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Nitration is due to additives that contains nitrogen molecules such as amines.

Oxidation readings > 10 are common in full synthetics indicating esters and other synthetic components.

I've never seen that VOA before. That oil looks awesome. Where the heck can you get that at? I wouldn't have a use for it but that oil looks like it would spank the Mobil SUV oil.

That viscosity @ 40°C 85.74 cSt of the JD 0w-40 would be a bit more friendly on start-up time after time than the Mobil's 102@40c or so for the car engines around my place .

Whats up with the low boron anyway ? I thought Delvac 1 was loaded up .

No doubt that 5w-40 is some good stuff though .

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I've never seen that VOA before. That oil looks awesome. Where the heck can you get that at? I wouldn't have a use for it but that oil looks like it would spank the Mobil SUV oil.

You can get this oil from a John Deere dealer. If they do not have it they can order it for you.

#TY24349 It is 100% PA0.

quote:

Whats up with the low boron anyway ? I thought Delvac 1 was loaded up .

No doubt that 5w-40 is some good stuff though .

I know, check out the LS1 UOA running the M1 5w-40 stuff. One of the best LS1 UOAs yet.

I'm not sure the SUV = D1. Might ask Carpy about that.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:

Nitration 10
Oxidation 15

I don't know why they would run FTIR on a new oil but apparently they ran it against their reference oil. When this is done we commonly see low numbers around 10 or so. It's almost never zero as you would expect.

I'll see if I can find one on a Delvac 1 5W40 to see how it compares.

Stinky

Oh yeah, ester oils usually show oxidation readings above 200 or even in the 1000's depending on the FTIR method.

quote:

Originally posted by J:
Boron definitely does seem to be lower than
what we've seen in VOA of Delvac 1.

So, maybe this is reformulated D1 and not
identical to D1.

cheers.gif

Jae

It seems M1 T&SUV is indeed Delvac 1. Look at the latest Delvac 1 reports on the diesel UOA section. Boron is the same and so is the rest of the additive package!
I'm pretty convinced these 2 oils are exactly the same, except for the price.

I seem to be missing something here... It's considered a good oil despite lacking molybdenum?

Uhm. Help? I was under the impression moly was THE anti-wear additive to have.

While we in this site do seem to have a love affair with moly (and for no exceptional reason), it isn't a must have in motor oil. Boron is also an antiwear, antioxidant and friction modifier. Also, since I'm sure this oil is the same as Delvac 1, then it also contains ~25% ester base oil......which does all of the above and improves base oil toughness such as shear resistance, oxidation resistance and higher flash point.
This T&SUV oil is a steal at this price......at least compare to Delvac 1.

Again, check the LATEST UOAs from the diesel forum. Exaclt the same amount of boron. Remember that no oil is 100% identical....even the same brand, the same weight tested twice. You look at the ballpark numbers and the oil is the same.

Also, Mobil won't tell you they are the same......they are selling Delvac 1 for $3 more a qt. The ratings on T&SUV tell the rest of the story. They are those of Delvac 1.

molil tech says delvac 1 and truck and suv are NOT the same oil....delvac 1 is alot more robust...i asked several techs at diff. times....delvac 1 has alot more boron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back