Zinc 1175
Sodium 13
Silicone 2

Vi 40c 81
Vi 100c 14.3
Vi Index 184
TAN 2.02
TBN 9.07

Comments about this 5 buck a quart oil imported from Belgium ?

Why do you like magnesium? I was under the impression it was a cheaper additive. And can create abrasive ash, whereas calcium's ash is non abrasive. I thought Calciums acid handling was better too? Plus you can get some AW/EP from certain Calciums.

I wouldn't use it. Too much magnesium.

Hi mag levels is one of the reasons (I suspect) that Mobil 1 Tri-Syn never gave very good wear numbers.

I thought this oil was spec'd out to 12.8cst at 100c?

And what is with European made Castrol oils and the extra iron?
dunno.gif

quote:

And what is with European made Castrol oils and the extra iron?

One thing I don't like about Casrtol is their lack of quality control. They are too big and disorgazised it seems. M1/Amsoil/RL VOA's always come out clean.

quote:

It's the SL/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4-98 502-505 Oil

quote:

Belgium

Those letters and credentials sure look impressive. It is made in Belgium, so it has to be a superior lubricant. (yeah right!) I'm sure there are some euro-snobs who think "hey..my car is made in Europe and European made oil is all thats going into it." Marketing Marketing Marketing!

I'd say $5.00/qt for a 9 TBN oil isn't such a great deal, I'd rather use Royal Purple, Synergyn 3w-30, or Mobil 1 for that price.

This 5w-40 is better suited to automotive diesels and does work very well in the VW TDI diesel engines ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

This oil's additive package looks like something they dreged from the Black Lagoon of an SD rated HDEO.

They need to drop the Mag. by 1000 ppm and increase the Calcium by 1800 ppm.

[ February 18, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Motorbike,

Where did you get this wonderful oil!!!
grin.gif

At the local Castrol Distributor .

I find it intersting how these various makers go about brewing these formulations . I'd certainly like to see VOA's of the below for comparison . They all meet the same specs .

Quaker State 5w-40
Pennzoil 5w-40
Kendall 5w-40
76 Lubes 5w-40

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I wouldn't use it. Too much magnesium.

Hi mag levels is one of the reasons (I suspect) that Mobil 1 Tri-Syn never gave very good wear numbers.

Here's Mobil Trisyn at 10k miles with over 1200 ppm of Magnesium ..... looks good to me .
smile.gif

Trisyn @ 10k miles

This Castrol is also a 10k mile motor oil in some engines...certain driving .

[ February 20, 2004, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:

quote:

quote:

Belgium

Those letters and credentials sure look impressive. It is made in Belgium, so it has to be a superior lubricant. (yeah right!) I'm sure there are some euro-snobs who think "hey..my car is made in Europe and European made oil is all thats going into it." Marketing Marketing Marketing!

You are SO RIGHT. My car was made in Zimbabwe and it gets nothing but Zimbabwebian...er Zimbaboobian...um-m-m Zimbabian oil!
wink.gif

pscholte,
a year and a bit ago, a group of us used to have "Foods of the World" on a Sunday night.

The host would have to cook a complete menu from scratch, in the country of there choice.

I think I topped the show with the foods of Senegal......vary tasty, and the coffee nearly stopped us blinking for a month.

I've never made icecream with peanut butter before.

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:

quote:

quote:

Belgium

Well ACEA specifications are not a marketing tactic and I've never seen Castrol put " made in Belgium " on a billboard
smile.gif
Just razzin there , no offense intended.

There seems to be an event or series of that caused Castrol to import this and their 0w-30 instead of just making it where-ever it's blended currently . Maybe nearing the end of a contract for either base oil supply or blend facility ?

Patman , these oils are shipped over in drums and probably pumped or poured into a larger container for packaging thus the metals from pumps/lines ect .

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
pscholte,
a year and a bit ago, a group of us used to have "Foods of the World" on a Sunday night.

The host would have to cook a complete menu from scratch, in the country of there choice.

I think I topped the show with the foods of Senegal......vary tasty, and the coffee nearly stopped us blinking for a month.

I've never made icecream with peanut butter before.

Shannow,

Sounds like a great time! There are some extrordinary culinary delights out there just waiting to be tried...I DO draw the line at something too exotic...you know like Sea Cucumber kidneys cooked in shark bile...but I admit the "30 day coffee" and the peanut butter ice cream sound truly appealing...now if Syntec 5W40 was just a little less oily tasting...might do wonders with Orange Roughy!

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Here's Mobil Trisyn at 10k miles with over 1200 ppm of Magnesium ..... looks good to me .
smile.gif

Trisyn @ 10k miles

Uh...I think you better look at that UOA again. The oil being tested is LubroMoly and the Mobil 1 numbers are listed from an earlier UOA for comparison and show poorer wear numbers than the LubroMoly.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
smile.gif

Trisyn @ 10k miles

Uh...I think you better look at that UOA again. The oil being tested is LubroMoly and the Mobil 1 numbers are listed from an earlier UOA for comparison and show poorer wear numbers than the LubroMoly.
rolleyes.gif

You are right and I was wrong ..He He , it was only 9k miles on the Mobil TrySyn not 10k
smile.gif

It did better than any of the imported 40wt runs ....it did not get past member Al though and he remarked on this fact .

Run down to the bottom of the first column which is the TrySyn .... 63.2 SUS = 11.1 cSt . The thread creator clearly stated the last column was the current interval , the first Mobil oil .

Shannow next time you come to Canberra go to Kingston Foreshore markets (Sun only) and try the awesome Ethiopian they have. Key Wat, Injera bread, spicy pumpkin and well all is sensational. Western food is bland and ordinary in comparison. Malaysian, Pakistani, Indian great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back