Quaker State High HP Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've said this before on different threads but....I have a coworker with close to 300,000 miles on an 89 Corolla which has used QS 10/30 dino almost exclusively. I believe QS is excellent oil and wouldn't hesitate to use it.
So many oils so little time!

I'm too lazy to look the thread up, but there was an interesting post somewhere here blaming QS and PZ reputation on the similarity of detergent and non-detergent oil cans. People simply put the wrong stuff into their car since any reference to being a non-detergent oil was in small type and/or the color of the can top.

QS, like Pennzoil, is no longer a Pennsylvania oil. Any stories about sludging were from a time when the product was far different than it is now. Funny, when I grew up in South Dakota in the sixties, the myth was about the superiority of Pennsylvania oils because of their lubricity. That too, was probably a myth.

csandste, Probably not a myth, back in the day qs was made of 100% paraffin base stock which indeed is a better lubricant than the nap base.

The old myth about "parafin" in oils has been hashed out here on various threads. Paraffin does NOT have any connection to paraffinic oils whatsover.

See:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000343 where we stated:

quote:

Mineral Paraffininc Base Oil - 64742-54-7; VI of +94 to 120, any group.

Mineral Naphthenic Base Oil - 64741-96-4; VI of -15, any group.

Mineral Aromatic Base Oil - 64742-03-7; VI of -185, any group.

Hydrotreated paraffininc, heavy - 64742-52-5
Hydrotreated paraffinic, light - 64742-53-6

The designation of Paraffinic, Naphthenic, or Aromatic simply describes the structure of the oil molecule. It has nothing to do with waxes, solvents, or being smelly. All mineral oils contain waxes which require Pour Point Depressants to keep the waxes in oil from crystalling at low temps.

See:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000024

and

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000032

The older oils were a mix of paraffinic oils and naphthenic oils. It was the poor quality VII's that broke down and sludged, and for about an 18 month period, there was a lot of sludge cases.

Paraffininc oils don't solve the additives very well so a small amount of naphthenic base oil is added for solubility reasons. Back then Group I parafinic oils were the most oxidation and thermally stable oils available, whether from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas or Penn. crude.

So it wasn't the base oils, it was the VII that caused sludging. And this was also before we had secondary anti-oxidants, and good dispersant/detergents. Texaco, Shell, and Standard also had this problem as well, it just wasn't advertised as much.

Today's VII's are much more stable and we learned much about what works and what doesn't.

[ October 22, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

MolaKule's outstanding technical discussion aside, when working in a shop in the late 80s, I tore down a number of small block Chevrolets and Fords that had significant sludge, in which case the owners swore they had been using Quaker State or Pennzoil every 3K. In a couple of cases, the sludge completely filled up the V between the cylinder banks all the way to the top of the intake manifold.

One environmental factor that may have contributed was the location, in Corvallis, Oregon where I grew up. There is a lot of rainy, cold, wet days and cars are routinely driven short distances. My vehicles struggled to warm up on these short trips, so I can see how this would be favorable to the formation of heavy sludge.

I just bought 30 quarts of this oil at Wal Mart for $1 a quart due to this VOA. I'm going to run it in my wife's Grand Cherokee 4.0. Boy did I get a funny look when I walked in the house with 30 more quarts of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by tec97:
In the 60s-70s QS oils were pretty high in parafin and had a tendancy to really sludge up motors.

I still can't believe that nonsense like this still gets posted to this forum.
rolleyes.gif

Give me an oil high in parafin any day of the week. IF QS oils caused sludge, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with "parafin." If that was the case, every PAO based synthetic would create nothing but sludge monsters.
grin.gif

That is a good point. Cen-Pe-Co oils are highly regarded in farming and heavy industry. Guess what base oil they use..........Paraffin base oils. They used to say 100% Pure Pennsylvania Oil.

"I tore down a number of small block Chevrolets and Fords that had significant sludge, in which case the owners swore they had been using Quaker State or Pennzoil every 3K.'

Even if that was the case (think there's a lot of urban myth there) neither Pennzoil or QS are Pennsylvania oils any more. Frankly I sort of believe the posting blaming PZ and QS sludging to the similarity of detergent and non-detergent oil cans in the fifties and sixties. People put non-detergent oil in and reaped the consequences.

sorry-- I guess I posted this same info on this thread in October-- didn't read carefully. Bad memory....as my father said before he died of a stroke, "My head, it hurts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back