Quaker State High HP Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 10w-30 is their new product with PAO . Their 4X4 Blend is group II/III base oils . If it does not say " Factory fill for the new Shelby GT 500E " on the back label it's old stock and not this oil .

Moly 59
Magnesium 21
Calcium 2356
Phos 1031
Zinc 1183
Silicone 6
Sodium 2

Vi 40c 67.9
Vi 100c 10.7
VI Index 147
TAN 2.13
TBN 9.18

Looks like a decent oil. Who is gonna be the brave one to run this stuff out to around 6k miles and do a UOA?
wink.gif

I still don;t understand why everyone is scared of Quaker State...

In the 60s-70s QS oils were pretty high in parafin and had a tendancy to really sludge up motors. I'm barely old enough to remember this, but my grandfather drilled into me a disdain for QS based on his experiences from that time.

Bahhh... 10 years ago, I pulled apart a 1978 350 Chevy w/ 100k+ miles on the engine. My grandfather bought it new, and I am 100% sure it never had anything but QS 10W-40 and Lee PF35 filters every 3k. I was going to rebuild it for my Nova. When I saw how good the bottom end looked, I did a valve job, threw a cam in, and called it a day.

That short block has 160k+ miles on it now, including dragstrip use, and the general abuse that a young guy deals a "hot rod" (I was 21 at the time). My Dad bought the car from me, and it is still running great.

I still think the QS slude stories are nothing but folklore.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Bahhh... 10 years ago, I pulled apart a 1978 350 Chevy w/ 100k+ miles on the engine. My grandfather bought it new, and I am 100% sure it never had anything but QS 10W-40 and Lee PF35 filters every 3k. I was going to rebuild it for my Nova. When I saw how good the bottom end looked, I did a valve job, threw a cam in, and called it a day.

That short block has 160k+ miles on it now, including dragstrip use, and the general abuse that a young guy deals a "hot rod" (I was 21 at the time). My Dad bought the car from me, and it is still running great.

I still think the QS slude stories are nothing but folklore.

More than folklore if you go back to the early 70's. My 65 289 Ford was sludged. Then again I am leary of any 10W-40 to this day. Quaker State was probably just the whipping boy because it was very popular. The 3K oil change was not a myth back then.

I still think of these long chain polymers in 10W-40 as "PLASTIC." Don't want no plastic in my oil!!

I think it was that many 10W-40 really sucked and Quaker State was most popular. 3K was an extended oci with some of these.

OK... I guess that pre-dates this motor by a few years.
smile.gif

BTW.... I would be lying if I said this engine was SPOTLESS, however it was cleaner than many engines of that vintage that I have disassembled. It did have a thin layer of varnish (sludge?), but nothing of concern... basically just enough to put a super thin coating on the insides of the valve covers.

Looked real good for SF oil, and a carbureted engine. Maybe Quaker State fixed thier problems when the '80's rolled around?

I had heard the same thing about Pennzoil a while back. The rumor was that Pennzoil got most of their oil from Pennsylvania (hence their name) and that the Pennsylvania crude was waxier than other crudes and caused a lot of sludge problems.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
So has anyone decided to try this stuff? Just curious.

]]]

Nope, with Mobil 1 pricing, it makes it a hard sell. Looks good
grin.gif

M1 rep and pricing makes it difficult for people to go with other syns.

Guess, you'll haave to try it yourself.
grin.gif

Looks good to me,but I've been a Quaker State user for a LONG time.I think I'll try this in the wife's Jeep though.

I spoke with a QS rep back in the early 90's as I was changing our shop oil over to QS from Valvoline.He told me there were some problems with sludge back around 74-75,but it was due to a additive package they bought from another oil company,and showed me the documentation to support his claim.

I used to hear all kinds of stuff from mechanics concerning alleged sludge problems with Pennzoil and QS motor oils. I think if there were any sludge problems, it was mostly owner abuse and more noticeable in the case of Pennzoil and QS because they are the top selling motor oils.

It is interesting what Chris 2421 brings up. If there truly were sludge problems with QS in '74-'75 that may have resulted in QS getting a bad rap. But a lot of companies that produce motor oil no longer use their own chemical additives, so the problem could happen again.

Using a motor oil like Mobil 1 could solve a lot of problems. When you consider that you can go twice as long on an oil change and use fewer oil filters, the cost of Mobil 1 and conventional motor oils probably averages out over time. And a maintenance dose of Auto-RX would help maintain a clean engine.

Looks like a decent OTC oil, but would like to see the Boron and sulfur levels.

What is the percentage of PAO's?

I thought the topic was at a dead end but I just saw your reply

The MSDS shows 10-20% PAO

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/techdata/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=205646

That TBN is nice compared to say the current Motorcraft 10w-30 for example .

I'd like to give it the boron with a few ounces of the Valvoline Synpower additive , would bump the TBN a bit more too .

If this oil stays two bucks a quart , looks like a possible sleeper

Hello, I'm a new member! Anyway, I don't know what Quaker State is like now, but in 1968 my brother and me tore down a 1958 Peugeot engine whose former owner proudly boasted that he used only Quaker State. I well remember when the valve cover came off - the sludge and filth looked like brownish black Jell-O. No Quacker State for me, please!

ArBee,
Here are a couple of things to think about:
1) That was 36 yrs ago....a lot has changed since then. 2) Maybe that Pooooojoe was on a 5yr/50,000 mile OCI
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Shelby GT 500E

i found very little about this car online. is this an old chassis rebuilt to be an "eleanor," or are they somehow building these things from scratch?

-michael

I too remember the Quacker Stateless debacle from the 70's and seen first hand dismantled engines sludged up from a big bad batch they shoveled onto consumers.

The part that got most people's panties in a bind was Quacker Stateless's response which was basically to tell everyone to take a hike because there oil was fine.

Ruin someone's engine to the tune of $1500 in 1975 dollars and see how long they remember you for screwing them over.
tongue.gif

Motorbike , what is strange about QS MSDS's, is that if you enter the part number (#96255) for QS's HP SB 5W30 oil, the web site calls up the link to the MSDS you found, #14950.

But if you enter the part number (91255) for the HP SB 10W30 oil, QS's web site calls up MSDS #14953....their Fully Synthetic oil, not the synthetic blend MSDS. At least that is the way it works today.

Surely Quaker State's IT guy made a simple clerical mistake when programming the link???
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back