VW 505.01, Castrol 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

however, in the long term, certainly not a long term oil!

So? VW 506.01 is the required oil spec for extended drain in a VW P/D engine.

[ November 11, 2004, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

VW is really doing their customers a real diservice with all this hoopla
mad.gif
.Too greedy!

Nobody forces you to buy an imported car. Also, I don't know that any export VW model for the NA market is even equipped for extended drain (Long Life). I was just pointing out that the VW 501.01 spec can't be faulted for not being a Long Life oil.

The VW 501.01 spec is SPECIFICALLY tailored to the Pumpe/Düse diesel engines in the VW and Euro Ford Galaxy. VW says this oil spec is required, so take it or leave it. If they didn't insist on the use of oil that meets their specs, then they'd just end up with the same problem they had with the 1.8T engines.

The VW 505.01 spec is by no means exotic or uncommon in Europe. All major oil makers make oil that meets that spec. That they don't want to sell it in the US should tell you something.

Primus, it tells me that for some reason, VoA did not make sure that the correct oil spec is easily obtained, and it also tells me that the same oil manufacturers, which do make the correct spec oil abroad, are currently not interested in either making or importing the proper oil for the US market. Curious indeed.

My explanation: VoA (VW of America) is, just like AoA (Audi of America), interested only in selling cars. An infrastructure that doesn't let the customer hang in mid-air is not a priority for the bean counters.! I've learned that the hard way (weeks of waiting for spare parts and special tools, because they weren't in stock in the US).

Heres a Independent ( to Hades with the Queen )Wild A**ed american oil analysis view point on this issue.

Sampling, Run the recommended oils for a sequence of intervals. Then use whatever darn oil you prudently deem the best, using analysis results and good feedback from the analyst.

Compare over similar intervals. I am willing to bet that you will save money and wear running your best choice of lubricants.

Doug is correct about using appropriate technology for the engine but in the PCMO market it is more about controlling the consumer and channeling them into predicable retail hoops.

This is not rocket science and there IS more than one oil that will work for YOUR engine in YOUR car. Hiding that info has become the game for profit optimization.

Licenses are purchased by formulators and yes testing submitted to must be met. You can bet your bottom Euro that suitable high quality alternatives exist to the prudent/informed owner. Licensed or not.

I was recently invited to submit lubricants I have worked on to Detroit Diesels new specs.For any oil to be considered it would cost half a million US $ in testing to get on the list. There are many formulations that will achieve the high standards set forth but a smaller formulator will struggle to achieve that hurdle and NEEDLESSLY be restricted from the APPROVED list.

Only companies interested were the big players, none of the smaller companies submitted.

Warranties are MOSTLY sales tools in Passenger cars, try getting a Manufactorer to honor it and you will see what I mean.

Industrial and HDD equipement is a different story.

There is a small midwestern oil maker that soon will be able to build these kinds of market busting oils and I am so anxious to see them get production and marketing in high gear. The near perfect BITOG lubes !

What do you guys think of this oil? In comparison to AFL Amsoil or M1 SUV. It's untested on here for the most part so I'm not sure about it.

[ December 23, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

VW spec 505.01 is made for the '04 and '05 PD TDI's.(Pumpe Duese). These engines are the newer design and are quieter. They now sell the different looking bottle as stated before I believe it is grayish in color. Another oil made to this spec besides Motul is ELF EXCELLIUM DID 5W40. http://www.elfmoto.com/elfauto/excelliumdid5W40.php

I have heard mixed thoughts about this oil but they do have a great history of lubrication products!
smile.gif

Forgot to mention if you have a TDI and you look at the timing belt cover or the side of the vale cover you will see a code for the engine. If the code is "BEW" then you have the PD TDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back