Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German) (aka SLX, GC) Batch M0409xxx with TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
code:

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Made in Germany) (aka SLX, GC)

Batch #: M040976ADC1U315019411:32

Lab: Blackstone Laboratories

Sample Date: 10/04/2004

TBN: 10.8

Aluminum 1

Chromium 0

Iron 2

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 0

Nickel 0

Manganese 1

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 2

Boron 0

Silicon 5

Sodium 1

Calcium 3631

Magnesium 104

Phosphorus 822

Zinc 935

Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @210F 66.2 (Should be 58-65)

Flashpoint (F) 440 (Should be >365)

Fuel % -

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0

This is in a code block to preserve the nice whitespace
smile.gif

I'm currently running this in my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S post Auto-Rx. I'm hoping that this holds up better (viscosity wise) than the Mobil1 5/10W-30's.

This looks like a really clean batch in comparison to some earlier ones.

Enjoy

Thank you.
worshippy.gif

M1 10W-30 is good about staying in grade and resisting shear. It will be interesting to see how GC does in your engine. Mini torture test.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Didn't Patman have 1ppm or Iron in his UOA? Wonder if his was a different batch.
822 Phosphorous, is that low enough for SM yet?

-T

I think Patman had a different batch number. I wouldn't worry about an extra ppm of iron anyways.

800 is the phos. cap for SM.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Gotta love it when the Calcium is far above 3000ppm.

Those little green elves thank you for your continued support.
smile.gif

I think I'm going to go out tonight and hunt down some GC around Cincy. There are like 2 or 3 that always seem to have some, I might even order some and take a look at it when it gets in.

My Celica really loves this stuff. I was having problems with lead and viscosity when running M1 5/10W-30, the lead was probably due to the cold air intake I having leaning out the AF mixture, but the vis. dropped (sometimes significantly)after
If this stuff works well enough I will have a GC/SLX shrine like no other and the magical, mystical elves will party at my place like it's 1999.
fruit.gif

[ October 19, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: CincyGTS ]

There is no Boron, no Moly. Looks almost like the 'new' pennzoil LL 15w-40 with more calcium. Other than the smell and colour, what is so special about it?

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Didn't Patman have 1ppm or Iron in his UOA? Wonder if his was a different batch.

-T

My Corvette's UOA had 1ppm of lead and 8ppm of iron. The batch I used in my last UOA was the same batch that I had tested and it came with 3.4 ppm of iron in it originally, and 0.5 ppm of lead.

It's nice to see the newer batches of GC are not as contaminated anymore. The earliest batches had 9ppm of iron in them! Yikes!

2ppm of iron seems normal for most of the VOAs on here. If you look at the Mobil 1 VOAs for example, most of them show 2ppm of iron.

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
There is no Boron, no Moly. Looks almost like the 'new' pennzoil LL 15w-40 with more calcium. Other than the smell and colour, what is so special about it?

Don't look at the VOAs in order to judge this oil, look at the UOAs.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:

Don't look at the VOAs in order to judge this oil, look at the UOAs.

This oil seems to have a unique chemistry that does not show up on V0As.

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
Is the lab saying that it is weigh 40 and not 30 oil? I knew that it was a heavy 30, did not know "that" heavy.

No, it's still in the 30wt range here. It's around 11.8 cst here, and it would need to get above 12.5 to be a 40wt.

Always been curious about the Boron and Moly (or lack thereof) but like Patman says, the proof is in the UOA.

I'll make sure to get the high barstools out for the Tiki bar when the elves show up at my place
grin.gif

Thanks for doing the VOA
cheers.gif

I thought the general consensus was that magnesium leads to higher wear. UOA's with GC would seem to contradict that. Is that truly the consensus here or did I dream that up, which would not be the first time I have made a mistaken assumption.
Thanks in advance
Greg Harrison

Magnesium level is not high, there are number of oils like Motul where its level is higher:

300V 5W-40 ... 550-650
8100 5W-40 ... 750-800
8100 0W-40 ... 825

but in some cars they show a very good performance, in others - just about average. May be magnesium level is not the main factor ?

At the same time I cannot neglect Petronas newsletter on its Syntium line where the manufacturer says: “the absence of magnesium is something which is of particular importance to Japanese carmakers, and reduces the incidence of deposits”.

What’s wrong with magnesium and why it's of particular importance to Japanese engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back