Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Blackstone Labs ... Report date 7-1-2003

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 SJ and a zillion C ratings.

This is a year old oil that I found that had a date on the case of 5-03-2002...

Iron = 1
Silicon = 3
Sodium = 1
Calcium = 3056
Magnesium = 6
Phosphorus = 1136
Zinc = 1355

Water = 0
Insol = 0
SUS @ 210 F = 79.9
Flash point = 435
TBN = 11.0

Update on this oil from Blackstone Labs, 5/10/04
Chevron Delo 400 15W40 CI-4

Al-1
Iron-2
Lead-1
Silicon-5
Sodium-1
Calcium-3476
Magnesium-6
Phos-1190
Zinc-1329

[email protected]
Flashpoint-450F
TBN-not tested

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Would moly matter with the robust add pack? Heck, for $1.60/qt, seems like a great deal...with or without moly.

Sure, the addition of molybdenum would be nice...just an added layer of protection.

You don't need Moly to have a great oil that will provide great protection...and Delo is just that.

What oil would be better the Delvac 1300 with Moly or the Delo 400, since they are both diesel rated oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Morris:
What oil would be better the Delvac 1300 with Moly or the Delo 400, since they are both diesel rated oil.

IMHO (well, at the moment):
Delo has a better base oil.
Delvac has a better additive package.

It's pretty much a draw...

With the results I see in the used samples of Delo there is not much need for Moly or anything else.

It's true that some oils (including Delo 400) have posted super wear numbers without moly ... but I'd prefer the oil with moly just the same ... Pennzoil Long Life or (better yet) Schaeffer's 15W40 synthetic blend.

--- Bror Jace

Delo's flashpoint seems to be the highest out of Delvac and LongLife. I always look for the high flashpoint, having a twin turbo car and a stock oil cooler that isn't that effective.
smile.gif

Just be aware that some flashpoints have appeared "funny" in the past ... and I don't trust flashpoints in an MSDS.
tongue.gif

So, I can't go by them alone to determine an oil's worth.

I'm pretty disappointed that Pennzoil Long Life no longer has moly nor boron. It used to have the best additive package of all the regularly available oils.
frown.gif

I believe the mass market fleet (heavy duty) engine oils currently containing moly are Valvoline (go figure) and possibly Delvac 1300 if the above statement is correct.

Right now, I am using Schaeffer 15W40 which should out-perform all of the above anyway.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

IMHO (well, at the moment):
Delo has a better base oil.
Delvac has a better additive package

What data does one use to draw this conclusion. I have read this time and again but never an explanation. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Delo 400 is all Group II/II+.

Delvac 1300 is about 70% Group II/II+ and 30% Group I. Mobil use the Group I to increase solvency and seal swell. The moly used in Delvac is reported to be the new stuff. 70 ppm is supposed to be as effective as around 210 ppm of the older moly.

Both excellent oils just constructed in different ways.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back