Magnesum= 4
Phosprus= 732
Zinc = 879

Sus @ 210 F = 63.1
Water = 0
Insolubles = 0
Flash Point = 365 F ( ??? )
TBN = 8.0

Well, based on this additive package, if I HAD to use a conventional oil, this would be it.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Well, based on this additive package, if I HAD to use a conventional oil, this would be it.

Please explain so I would know what to look for.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gebo:
Please explain so I would know what to look for.
smile.gif

Boron and moly. These are currently the AW/EP "additives of choice" in Mobil 1, so it's nice to see them in a conventional oil. In fact, this Chevron oil has almost as much boron and moly as Mobil 1.

Flash point 365 F?

This does not meet the requirements for GF3, in fact it is less than Mobil Drive Clean which is known for it's evaporative nature. Is it the oil or Blackstone Labs?

My guess is that it is a typo.I'll call them later today and get a clairification on this.

Well I called Blackstone this morning and they said it couldnt be a typo as it is printed directly from a machine without any hand typing.

He ( I didnt catch his name ) said that 365F seemed alittle low but said an average flash point of an oil like this should be around 400 deg F.

In the Comments section of the file I was sent they stated:

"Nothing unusual was found in this sample either ( I had sent 4 different oils in ).The additive levels are common to oils intended for use in a gas engine.The oil contained no moisture or insolubles,and the TBN read was 8.0.

BTW when I sent these samples in I supplied them with the date, the viscosity and API class.I did not supply brand names or types.

So at this point I have no idea if it was the oil or the anilization... or a fluke...
dunno.gif

I started using Chevron oil after discovering this web site, and (this is not scientific) it ran great and felt great in my car!

You know how a car or truck often feels like immediately after an oil change? Well, Chevron gave me that feeling throughout the oil change.

Later on, however, I moved on to Schaeffer's oil.

Could it be the Moly?

Has anyone else noticed that the "newer" Chevron oils are darker than ones from about a year ago? Each bottle has a batch date, and the change seems to have taken place over the last winter. Previously, Chevron reps claimed up and down that there is no moly in their oil...

Buy up this oil before they relabel it as "synthetic!!!!"

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
FWIW, Chevron claims a flashpoint of 450F on their product data sheet for this oil. -Joe

True, but if you look at other voa's on this oil here, the labs always show the low flashpoint with the Chevron. Others, including Havoline seem to be pretty accurate with or exceed the data sheet ratings.

I don't know what's up with this. I would pick the supposedly same Havoline until someone resolves this. Chevron fans seem to dismiss this.

Dissolved fuel in the oil would affect flash point. I noticed there was no mention of fuel percentage, and Blackstone always lists it in their reports.

RayH,

The above VOA did show 365 F. I reciently posted up a UOA on this oil and it showed a Flash Point @ 385 F
and fuel% was

Thanks for posting the fuel dilution number, Calvin. That little suggests we can dismiss fuel dilution as the problem. I noticed on my old analysis sheet from Blackstone that the "Values Should Be" notation for "Fuel %" listed ">365", but right under it, in the "Test Values Were" notation, it reads, "405". Any chance your eye wandered into the wrong column?

I think all this might be mute seeing the API SM GF-4 version of this oil will be out soon .

Unless someone purposely tries to locate old stock of this oil effectively it's no longer made .

"I think all this might be mute seeing the API SM GF-4 version of this oil will be out soon. Unless someone purposely tries to locate old stock of this oil effectively it's no longer made."

I don't know, 'bike. I can still find samples dated from last April on the shelves around here.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I just went and took a look at both reports from Blackstone.

On the Virgin report under " Values Should Be " the Flashpoint in degF was left blank...no data there.Under the " Tested Values Were " The flashpoint in degF was 365.

On my Used Oil report under " Values Should Be " The Flashpoint in degF says " >365 ". Under the " Tested Values Were " the Flashpoint in DegF was 385.

Perhaps they kept my data in my file and reused the same VOA Flashpoint in the" Values Should be"
or do they ave this number amount all the VOA's on this specific oil ? I couldnt be the only person to do a VOA on this popular oil ...could I ?

I'll be glad to EMail you these if you would like to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back