Synergyn 0w-20 racing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Terry,

I was going to mention that for a street application, the Redline 5w-20 @ $7.00/qt is a better value than this Synergyn @ $10.00/qt. The Redline stuff is also going to have a greater, HT/HS viscosity - in fact I think it's 3.3 Centipoise, which is exceptional.

You are correct, I'm looking at the Redline 5w20 spec sheet right now and it says 3.3.

But I also remember a conversation I had with you on here about how Redline uses a different rating system for it's HTHS numbers, which show them a bit higher than others. They use the ASTM D4741 method to calculate their HTHS. I think you mentioned this method shows numbers a couple of points higher. (which means their 3.3 might actually be 3.1 when compared to the other method most oil companies test with)

Don't get me wrong though, I do believe Redline 5w20 is probably the best 5w20 you can buy at a reasonable price.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
... Maybe I didn't win enough but that was Oldsmobiles fault not mine !
lol.gif

Shoulda had a bimmer!
wink.gif

Jason,
offtopic.gif

In the late 80's through the mid 90's that Olds factory road racing program took BMW,Nissan,Honda/Acura,Mazda and a host of others to task. Our Touring class 4 cyl Achieva made a few BMW's look slow, especially if Hemmingson was driving.

Remember when Castrol sponsored the Olds, Bror ? White and Green cars.

No more though, GM and the rest of Detroit where have you gone ?????
dunno.gif

Pretty impressive then. I'm not too familiar with racing in the 80's early 90s honestly. But I do know the E30 M3 dominated pretty much everything, but that may have been in europe. Not sure they were too active over here.
And more recently the speedvision series required BMW to have ballast to make it closer.
I think that was just to make it more exciting for TV, don't know if they did that in the 80s.
Not too much from detroit anymore, but honestly what do they have that would be competitive
tongue.gif
Actually Saturn and Neons used to be big for SCCA racing. But I thought the enthusiasts weren't too happy with the new versions.

Robbie, Synergyn racing thin weights were;

0 = 0w-16
00 = 0w-8
000= 0w-4
0000 = ?????

Drag guys 1300 hp and less could use these for 4 passes then change.
used for qualifying only by all other racing applications.

ZOOM ZOOM...

interesting that every major oil formulator including the boutique companies copy Dyson oil company/Synergyn today.

Ok, I'll be using this oil on the MDX. Ordered 12 qts yesterday for $102 which includes shipping. FWIW, the official answer from Synergn is that "0w-20 Meets SL specs".

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:

Ordered 12 qts yesterday for $102 which includes shipping. FWIW, the official answer from Synergn is that "0w-20 Meets SL specs".

I also ordered some for my new 2004 Toyota Tacoma 2.4 . I bought a case of the 0/20 for the first two intervals after run in and a case of the 3/30 LTS . This should be good for 4 years @ an estimated 12mon/12k service interval .

Of note , the entire Synergyn synthetic line-up has been upgraded to a simalar additive package like the 0/20 and uses moly I was told .

quote:

is it ok to use a racing oil for normal driving??

NO. True racing oils like Redline's have no detergents in them. Racing oils like Mobil 1 R or Amsoil S2k yes.

The Synergyn 3/30 LTS and higher wts are $5.85 per quart with free shipping .

The 0/20 is $8.75 per quart and the same free shipping so it's a wash more or less when comparing prices to Amsoil 0/30 and their 5/30 - 10/30 .

I have not seen a long drain interval done here with the 0/20 . Bet it would do well though . The 30wts will go 12-15k normally in a good motor w/o a bypass filter .

You have a 20wt motor , gonna try some ? Other than warranty issues running a 30wt where you live you would probably get by with a good 30wt .

I bet Ford Mazda and Honda might soon get tough when motors come in trashed with a 30wt oil receipt whether or not the oil was to blame .

I'd like to, but I can't seem to get past the whole 20 weight oil thing...

I use 0w30, but I have said that if it gets super cold again this winter, I'll put in a 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back