Mg, 47 ppm
Ca, 3205 ppm

Antiwear/FM additives:

Boron, 168 ppm
Moly, 148 ppm
Zn, 1479 ppm
P, 1485 ppm

Patman,

I'm using it in the Tacoma since I already have four previous samples from that engine. I may also get some more to use in the Audi TT if I like the results.

If you had Blackstone test the TBN in would be in the 11-12 range, so I expect this oil to be good for 10k-12k miles in my truck ....

A pretty robust add pack I think ....

Ted

I forgot to add this formulation also contains 6 ppm of silicone as an antifoam additive ....

This is the most robust 0w-20 formulation I've come across, BTW.

TooSlick

Indeed a hefty additive package.

It will be intersting to see how the TBN and oxidation fare with this package.

Thanks for sharing that Ted.

This was a brand new oil at the end of their sponsorship of our 1998 road racing efforts. Thinnest we used was the 3w-30 motor oils. Great stuff, no moly.

Note the moly for the 0w-20, not a normal Synergyn add.

They have been on the cutting edge of thin vis oils for some time. Their 0000 drag oil was quite interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

This is the most robust 0w-20 formulation I've come across

I would like to try this oil for my wife's 2003 Acura MDX, 3.5L V6 SOHC Vtec. The only concern is that this oil seems to be SJ rated which may conflict with manufacturer's oil recommendation(don't have the manual to see if API SL is required). How many miles do you have on this oil? TIA

Terry,

I've been running the 0w-20 for 6500 miles/7 months so far. Based on what I've seen to date and the visual condition of the oil to my finely calibrated eye
wink.gif
, I may just change the filter and run it for a full year. Synergyn recommmends 10k-12k drains w/ the 0w-20; I think that's easily acheivable ....

No oil consumption so far, even after a hard summer of driving in 90F-100F weather.

I may even come around on the value of MoDTC ...
shocked.gif

I'm just thinking maybe I can have my cake and eat it too
smile.gif

I did check with Synergyn and there is no definitive answer(yet). The Customer/Technical Services person initially stated(e-mail) that the oil passed the new test but when pressed with regards to the high levels for the additive mentioned above, then he defer the question until he could double check with their chemist.
Also, my understanding is that these oils are still shipping with the 'old' labels(API SJ).

Thanks much for the input tho, I do appreciate it. I am going to be running this oil for 7.5k only to stay within the manufacturers guidance.

Thanks for the info Ted and you will warm up to MoTDC as it is a great AW/EP and FM add if used properly !

I also ran their whole line of oils in my tow and street cars during the 1998 season and was impressed with them all. I took the Synergyn 5w-30 and 3w-30 oils out to 12000 mile drains in our all GM fleet ( Olds road racing). The diesel got Amsoil (AME) 15w-40 as the Synergyn 15w-50 racing oil didn't work as well in that old GM 6.5L TD V8.

My analyzed wear values with Synergyn oils were lower than using the series 2000 0w-30, it just couldn't last as long.

This 0w20 is very high tech and should easily go 1 year or 15,000, probably longer with a UOA to verify.

pinoy99, are you a Dyson Analysis customer ? If so email me and I can follow up with your history. To help you make an informed decision. I can't keep my customers straight with the internet handles ! When you call back to the Dyson Boys tell them cousin Terry said to call !

Terry

[ November 13, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Interesting stuff fellas.

Terry, why is Amsoil the only oil left that I'm aware of that doesn't use MoTDC? They seem to be followers in formulation rather then leaders anymore. Don't get me wrong, they make a good oil, but Redline and this company Synergyn just appear to be more advanced in formulation. Even Mobil 1 seems to be. My guess is that Amsoil's main market focuse is extended drains in which they don't need as much EP additives. They do also use other things as MK mentioned which would negate the use of MoTDC.

Buster, Amsoil isn't the only one but being a boutique oil they are noticed. Actually before this site and noria discussions few if any besides industry chemists and analysts knew.

Ask AJ about that, I can't answer. I bet he changes tune soon. Just like the blink on group III base oils in the series 7500 oils.

This Synergyn, 0w-20 Racing Oil is intended for running qualifying laps in Winston Cup V-8's. It's also $10.50 per quart and has way too much ZDDP to be API licensed. In other words, it's intended for a very small niche market. My main interest in testing it was to evaluate some of the more radical formulation approaches out there. I'm also out to further my pet theory, that you can substitute a PAO/Ester synthetic, that is one SAE grade thinner than what the manufacturer recommends for a conventional lube. I've actually been doing that since 1985 ....

The Chief Chemist at Synergyn worked in Amsoils' lab back in their early days. That's why I figured they knew what they were doing ...
wink.gif
Terry also had very positive comments about racing with their oils. 'Course I'm still not sure he doesn't get a kickback from "Dyson Oil" - sounds like kin to me ....

grin.gif

quote:

The Chief Chemist at Synergyn worked in Amsoils' lab back in their early days. That's why I figured they knew what they were doing ...

They should hire him back bc for $8.35qt S2k is nothing to brag about thats for sure.

At 8.8cSt would the HT/HS of this oil be about 2.6?

Terry, Redline's 5w-20 seems pretty d@mn sweet also.
smile.gif

[ November 13, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

"Terry also had very positive comments about racing with their oils. 'Course I'm still not sure he doesn't get a kickback from "Dyson Oil" - sounds like kin to me ...."
thumbsdown.gif

Man I wish, in 1998 they cutoff any sponsorship after running nearly every race in ProSportsCar/IMSA with a giant Synergyn Banner on everything including the Featherlight ! I still haven't gotten over that and yes we are related ... prior to US civil war ! Some kind of family feud ! Probably someone confused about who's wife was at what cabin after drinking a little brew !!!!!
nono.gif

You'd think a pro racing team with the same last name and owner who is an lube consultant would have been a great marketing angle on the cheap ! Maybe I didn't win enough but that was Oldsmobiles fault not mine !
lol.gif

I think it was poor judgement and NASCAR,NHRA eating them alive. ROAD RACING be ****ed. Needless to say I haven't been real happy about the deal but they are good folks as far as building good lubes.

I do like any of you who call to mention my name and Dyson Analysis just to rub it in !!!!!
phone.gif

So the oil would have to be good for me to recommend it as they didn't do me right !
fruit.gif

RL's 20w oil is a kick rear oil too. TOTALLY different theory of formulation though.

Ok, since I would like to do an oil/filter change soon and really considering using this oil, should I be concerned with the high P & Zn contents? The MDX motor has about 7k miles and this would be the 3rd fill. I can get 12 qts for $102 delivered to my door.

P & Zn levels rarely stop my selection of a street oil. Its up to you . In this case this is a solid motor oil that will protect and run well in your engine. Thats not a recomendation its an opinion.

API standards are mostly bargain basement min levels politically negotiated between the auto manufactorers and oil and add companies, with a heavy hand of EPA in the background so I allow little emphasis for a API spec.

If you walk into Acura dealer and announce; I'm running a non api spec oil is that a problem ?

The answer you get will be the corporate CYA one.

Do check with Synergyn to see if they have submitted to the SL or SM spec, they may have.

Terry

Terry,

I was going to mention that for a street application, the Redline 5w-20 @ $7.00/qt is a better value than this Synergyn @ $10.00/qt. The Redline stuff is also going to have a greater, HT/HS viscosity - in fact I think it's 3.3 Centipoise, which is exceptional. The Synergyn is 8.8 Cst @ 100C, with a VI of 165 - an educated guess would be a HT/HS of 3.0-3.1 - about like the Mobil 1, 5w-30. I may even run it in the 225 hp, Audi TT turbo, it's that good ....

The best thing about this synergyn is the smell when you open the bottle - it smells like some sort of rocket fuel.
wink.gif

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back