Rislone Clean Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
As promised here is the analysis for Rislone.

Oil Brand/Weight : Rislone additive
Type Equipment : clean oil
Miles/Hours on oil : clean
Total Miles/Hours : clean

Results ppm/% Comments (blank=normal)
Wear
Copper 0
Iron 0
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Aluminum 0
Silicon 1
Tin 0

Additives
Molybdenum 0
Sodium 0
Magnesium 0
Zinc 380
Potassium 0
Phosphorus 352
Calcium 768

Physical Properties
Water negative

Sulfur na
TBN 5
Vis@100 C (cSt) 9.2 SAE 20w
TAN 0.5

This is the Rislone "Add at Oil Change" additive found in the Yellow bottle, and cost's approx. $2.29 at Walmart. The oil is dyed blue/green. As you can see it is nothing more than a 20 weight mineral oil with very low levels of calcium detergent, some anti-foam, and very low levels of ZDDP, about 1/4 to 1/5 of the level you would find in an SL formulated motor oil. The level of detergent is too low to really affect cleaning. Any "run-of-the-mill" OTC motor oil will contain much more detergent than this brew.

Advantages to using this OTC additive? None whatsoever.

Disadvantages: 1.) Cost. In my view it should cost less than Walmart's Oil Additive in the blue bottle ($.78), since Rislone contains less ZDDP. 2.) Thinning of the crankcase oil. If I had an engine spected to run 30 weight oil this additive would thin it down. Testing revealed no viscosity index improvers (VII's) to keep the oil from thinning down.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Neutra uses esters to clean, that won't show on a VOA

Chances are pretty good that Rislone won't be using much, if any esters in their $2 product though.

True, I doubt they do. Maybe they use some solvents to clean? That wouldn't show either. Is that possible.

But I also meant that for Groucho to do a VOA on Neutra would probably be pointless as it would show up pretty much blank. And we know why already.

There are certain chemicals one can use to test for esters as the esters will agglomerate to the wall of a beaker when these chemicals are added to an oil.

No esters were found in Rislone, and Rislone makes no declarations about there being any in their products.

I ran these tests on Rislone and CD2 at the request of a number of people on the board who wanted to see if there were any real economic or mechanical benefits to some of these OTC additives.

Their tribologist responded(posted in additives section), not a lot of detail though. Wish someone more knowledgable than me could tell me if there's anything to their points--

1. That the product is different when mixed with oil than a stand alone product.
2. That some of the factors don't show up in testing.

Rislone, unlike many other additives, isn't hiding their ingredients using the terms proprietary or patented or secret or.......

Its a Napthenic pale oil solvent. Works great in an engine as a cleaner. Does exactly what it says it does.

And, at $2.29, is a very cheap solution to engines with sludge or unknown history.

I have used Rislone. It works. No technical mumbo jumbo needed!

Still waiting for a VOA on autorx! I expect its VOA to be just like the other two oil additives.

undummy, I didn't realize anyone was waiting for a clean VOA of RX. Here it is, by OAI 5/14/01

Vis 7.1 cSt @100C = SAE 20w, mid grade.

Thats it every other element 0.

I needed a TBN but they refused to run it for me.
Dyson Analysis and OAI where having issues at the time, they started jerking my customers around by refusing to fax data etc.

[ May 13, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Rislone, unlike many other additives, isn't hiding their ingredients using the terms proprietary or patented or secret or.......

As far as I know, neither has Frank at Auto-RX. There have been many discussion on this board about the ingredients, so no one had hid anything.

As you can see from the UOA, it has fewer additive concentrations than does an SL OTC el chepo motor oil. My point is that why pay > $2.30 for an additive that has less of an additive package than a quart of any OTC API SL rated motor oil?

A long time ago in the past I thought about using Rislone, and now I am glad that I did not. In any case, Auto-RX or Neutra work better.

I did use Marvel Mystery Oil a few times a long time ago. Never did seem to make such of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back