Amsoil 10w-30 - Titan Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnM

Sample was tested at Titan Laboratories.
How does this virgin sample look?

Viscosity -cSt 100C = 11.3
SAE Grade - 100C = 30
Fuel Soot = 0
Water = 0
Fuel Dilution = 0
Antifreeze = 0
Chromium = 0
Copper = 0
Iron = 1
Lead = 0
Tin = 0
Aluminum = 0
Silicon = 1
Antimony = 1
Barium = 0
Boron = 66
Cadmium = 0
Calcuim = 1974
Magnesium = 770
Molybdenum = 0
Nickel = 0
Phosphorus = 777
Silver = 0
Sodium = 1
Titanium = 0
Zinc = 830

Very anemic. I emailed Amsoil and they said they havn't lowred the ZDDP at all. I beg to differ.
rolleyes.gif

I'd question the lab more than Amsoil.

Based on what I've seen here in the past their results have been questionable.

Titan labs never seems to come close on these VOA's ....

The Magnesium and Boron levels should be about 800 ppm and 80 ppm repectively. Calcium should be 2200 +/- 50 ppm; P should be 950 +/- 50 ppm and Zn should be 1150 +/- 50 ppm.

Silicone used as an antifoam additive is 3-4 ppm in most of the Amsoil formulations, which should tell you how far off the calibration is on this particular ICP machine. Some of this may also be operator dependent, which is a polite way of saying their techs aren't very good at reading spectro signatures
shocked.gif

[ January 12, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Ted, what is a good lab to send a sample of ASL off too? I want to get this nailed down. I spoke with Ed Kellerman of AMsoil and he said the ZDDP level hasn't changed according to him. In fact I borrowed your numbers that you had on here and he said it was close but not exactly what they were showing. This is the 3rd sample of an ATM/ASL product showing lower ZDDP levels.

Buster,

What I look is actual performance in terms of wear rates and oil degradation. The re-formulated 5w-30 and 10w-30 are doing fine in that respect - in fact I'd agree they have closed the gap on the S2000, 0w-30. They are using significantly more borate ester in the 5w-30/10w-30 than they ever did before. That reduces the need to use so much ZDDP to get wear protection and oxidation resistance over long drain intervals.

The S2000 still uses 20% higher levels of ZDDP, along with the same # of borate ester. However, it's intended as a high performance, extended drain oil that is also suitable for severe racing applications.

Perhaps the eventual plan is to license ASL/ATM and keep the S2000 the way it is, to compete with Redline and this "imaginary" Mobil 1R?
smile.gif
I honestly have no idea, but that makes sense to me in terms of marketing - and I'm the furthest thing from some marketing nerd
shocked.gif

Ted, so ASL/ATM are now using more Esters? Interesting. If they do license the ASL/ATM line, I'd like to see it hit Walmart. I'd also like to see them spruce up S2000 a bit.

The XL-7500 series oils are intended for the Quick Lube market and are doing very well. After only six years, Amsoil is in sixth place in synlubes sales at national quick lubes and moving up fast ...At last count over 1300 QL's were carrying Amsoil products ...
wink.gif

There is no technical support at Walmart for something as complex as tribology, oil testing, failure analysis, etc. Safely running extended drains requires a certain degree of technical support ....

TS

It seems Amsoil is following Mobil's approach to formulation with the addition of Borate esters. I think the reason why Amsoil ASL sometimes shows better wear, although very slight, is bc they use a higher quality base stock. That would be my guess.

If indeed the formulation has chaged, should one assume that they are using higher quality basestocks for this oil now to keep the extended drain service?

[ January 15, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: 47HO ]

Then why isn't Amsoil bragging about the P low levels?? Is the the oil used in the most recent sequence tests?

I tell you the worst thing about being a dealer is not really knowing anything more than the public and being expected to (or expecting myself to know more!)

This is another virgin analysis on the 10/30 done by Terry and Molakule back in 6/03 but it did not exactly make the headlines in terms of post numbers but it appears formulation tweeking was taking place prior to 7 months ago . Since it might take awhile to get old stock moved and generally this oil is ran for at least longer periods I can sorta see why the UOA's have not reflected a change as of yet because they just have not yet filtered in .
I pay alot of attention to these VOA's and thank all that send them in .

-------------------------------------------------
All components with values of 0 not reported. (Courtesy of Dyson Analysis).

Metals
Iron (Fe) 1
Copper (Cu) 0
Chromium (Cr) 0
Aluminum (Al) 0
Lead (Pb) 0
Tin (Sn) 1
Silicon (Si) 3
Sodium (Na) 2
Phosphorus (P) 866
Zinc (Zn) 910
Calcium (Ca) 1730
Magnesium (Mg) 594
Physical
Total Acid Number (Tan) 0.2
Total Base Number (Tbn) 12
Viscosity At 100 C (V100) 11.3
Except for the boron (not reported in this analysis) and the tbn, there is nothing impressive to report. Slightly higher or the same price as Mobil 1, depending on regional marketing and time of year.
[ June 17, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Now unless this oil has some magical chemistry in the base oil, it's nothing to be impressed with. Very dissapointed with this.
thumbsdown.gif

[ January 15, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back