Valvoline 5W-30 SJ/SL Retail (1 Qt. Bottle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi;

A Blackstone Labs Analysis from a 1 Qt. Bottle of Valvoline 5W-30 SJ/SL motor oil.

code:

Oil miles 0

Total Miles 0

--------------------------------------------

TBN: 10.5

Vis @212 F: 61.4 SUS (= 10.7 cSt?)

Flash Point: 425 F

Insolubles: Trace

Water: 0.0

Percent Fuel: -

Glycol: -

Aluminum: 0

Chromium: 0

Iron: 0

Copper: 0

Lead: 0

Tin: 0

Molybdenum: 0

Nickel: 0

Manganese: 0

Silver: 0

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 0

Boron: 0

Silicon: 2

Sodium: 2

Calcium: 1549

Magnesium: 4

Phos: 699

Zinc: 811

Barium: 1

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Bohn:
Hi;

A Blackstone Labs Analysis from a 1 Qt. Bottle of Valvoline 5W-30 SJ/SL motor oil.

Oops... Forgot to mention what type of Valvoline this was. This is conventional oil, part number VV177.

It says 'New formula' on the front. On the back it looks like it says it's the 'All-Climate' variety.

It is Type SL, with a note about 'Exceeds API services SL/SJ and all preceding gasoline categories. ILSAC GF1, GF2, and GF3'.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Talk about an oil not worth putting on the shelves of walmart... This has got to be one of them. There's virtualy nothing in this oil for additives.

What is it that indicates that there's little additive? (I see that it has no Molybdenum type additives.

Not to take their claims at face value, but the bottle makes it sound like they put something in there to reduce wear and oxidation. There data sheet says it has 'High detergency' and 'anti-wear additives'.

The bottle claims it helps:

• 'Keep the engine clean (Minimize deposit formation)'
  • 'Reduce Oil Consumption (Lower Volatility & evaporation)'

• 'Resists oil thickening (Advanced Oxidation control)'

• 'Provide tough anti-wear protection exceeding current U.S., Japanese and European wear tests for gasoline and turbocharged engines where 5W-30 is recommended'

The Zinc and Phos numbers are pretty low. The Calcium number isn't great either.

Many people think Valvoline is the "best" dino available, from the numbers I see it's only average at best. And, even below average in the additives department. But, to it's credit the TBN of 10.5 is good.
wink.gif

For $1.08/quart I will stick with my Chevron thank you.

I'm sure Bob can explain this better, but wouldn't such a high TBN indicate a strong basestock and yet maybe not the need for a strong additive package?

Other than that bit of B.S. above, I don't comprehend why the TBN is so high and why the calcium, phosphorous, and zinc levels are so low.......
dunno.gif

Empirically, this doesn't look like a good oil as the additives seem 10 to 20 percent below other mainstream dino oils such as Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Kendall, etc.....

BTW, Mobil 1 is not a dino.

The anti-wear additivies appear to be a MINUTE amount of Barium Titanate and a little ZDDP, but like Bob said, not even the detergent/Dispersant package is of much use. This oil might go 2k.
grin.gif
Not worth pouring in a lawn mower for sure. Maybe good as a weed killer though at the price!

[ September 12, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
BTW, Mobil 1 is not a dino.

The anti-wear additivies appear to be a MINUTE amount of Barium Titanate and a little ZDDP, but like Bob said, not even the detergent/Dispersant package is of much use. This oil might go 2k.
grin.gif
Not worth pouring in a lawn mower for sure. Maybe good as a weed killer though at the price!

I also had a sample of (conventional) 5W-30 bulk oil used by my local Toyota dealer analyzed (by a different lab- Herguth Labs).

Where does this fit on the 'additive package' scale?

code:

Bulk 5W-30

-------------------------------------------

TBN: 7.23

Vis @100 C: 10.82 cSt

Oxidation: 6/30 Abs/cm

Water: < 0.10 %

Nitration: < 2/30 Abs/cm

Percent Fuel: < 2.0 %

Glycol: < 0.10 %

Iron:
Aluminum:
Chromium:
Copper:
Lead:
Tin:
Nickel:
Silver:
Silicon: 2

Sodium: 1

Boron: 155

Zinc: 1009

Phos: 768

Calcium: 1985

Magnesium: 9

Barium:
Molybdenum 73

Vanadium:

Greg,That looks much better. What brand was the second oil and I will research it a bit more and also,how many miles was on the engine oil change?

[ September 14, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Greg,That looks much better. What brand was the second oil and I will research it a bit more and also,how many miles was on the engine oil change?

The second sample was also unused oil. I got it from the dealer when I asked for a sample of the same type bulk 5W-30 they used for an oil change about 2 weeks earlier.

When I asked whose oil it was all they said was that it was a Pennsylvania bulk oil 'like Quakerstate or Pennzoil'. I took this to mean 'similar to' Quakerstate and Pennzoil, rather than being one of those brands, but who knows.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
This is what caught my eye?

Percent Fuel: < 2.0 % Glycol: < 0.10 %

From the results I've gotten from their lab, I think that's just their way of saying that the level is lower than they can accurately measure with the tests they perform. Either that or how much they are willing to report.

I also noticed they don't report 0 PPM for metal, but return '
So, I assume this means they don't detect less than 2.0 % fuel in the first place, which I grant seems higher than you would probably like.

They have a 5% 'maximum' for Fuel, and a 0.10% maximum for Glycol.

By contrast, Blackstone has a limit of 2% for fuel and I've never seen them report fuel level as anything other than '
I think the test package I got uses IR analysis for the Glycol and Fuel dilution measurements. Maybe it has to do with what the minimum fuel/glycol you can measure using IR absorption is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back