'78 Honda CB400: What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought my first motorcycle, a '78 CB400 w/21,000 miles. According to the Honda owner's manual, oil changes are every 600 miles, with alternating filter changes.

Since I'm new to this, what oil would be a good choice for this motorcycle? Tentatively, I'm thinking this bike will be ridden about 200 miles per month in summer and fall (no freezing weather, some very warm 90+ days). Also, what/where to buy filters? My local Honda dealer obviously sells both items, but I'm not too impressed with their service and don't really want to spend my money with them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

M_C

Wal-mart, most stores, started carrying Fram cycle filters again.
Many auto parts stores also stock filters. Your choice as to brand. The cartridge type filters by Fram, dispite the opinion of some here, are fairly well made.(Canada, IIRC).
Oil; I think you book calls for 10w-40. Shell Rotella or Delvac, both truck oils will work well. Rotella(blue jug is synthetic) is well liked by many Honda owners. Oil is also at Wal-mart.

Oil Filters: Fram CH6008, Wix 24939,
Purolator ML16808
Any 15w40 Diesel motor oil will work fine. Or you may want to give Exxon Superflow 10w40 a try and it may cost less.
Change the oil and filter drive for 600 miles after that I would change the oil and filter every 1000\1500 miles or every fall depending on the miles you put on.
Nice bike and easy to work on. Enjoy

I had a '78 Honda cb400 Hawk a few years ago. 10w-40 shifting got a little "notching" after 1000 miles. I went to 15w-40 Delo 400 and it was perfect. You can also use sae 30, 10w-40 or 20w-50 per the manual. 600 mile changes are too short, i believe it should be 4000 miles in the manual.

Thanks for all the help! I guess I'll go with whichever 15w40 is on sale and do an annual OCI, since I doubt I'll get much beyond a 1,000 miles per year.

BTW: Does anyone know who makes Honda's OEM filters? Just curious...

M_C

Well, maybe not...Valvoline 10w40 4-stroke oil is readily available at CSK. Maybe I'll pick up three quarts and a Fram (gulp) filter.

M_C

You might want to try a search for a hastings filter. I had a 79 Honda CB650. I used both a fram and the hastings. The fram part number was CH6009. I would also consider Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic for your bike. The blue jug Rotella runs for about $15 / gallon at Walmart. I now own a 06 Vulcan 750 and the Rotella T seems like a perfect fit for this bike. I do 2,000 mile OCI's.

Toyo Roki makes, or made, most of Honda cycle filters. Filtech is the U.S. division of that company.
TR filters are pretty well made, but being OEM, they cost.

My first new vehicle was a CB 400F. I used Valvoline 20W-50 and changed it regularly. I was dismayed to find scar marks on one of the cam lobes when fixing a head gasket leak. I have always wondered if it was a manufacturing defect in the cam instead of an oil related failure. Seems like the owner's manual allowed 20W-50 for warm temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back