1983 Virago 750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel truck oil like Shell Rotella T or Mobil Delvac. 20W50 and 10W40 car oil is usually fine for a bike motor. But I like the 15W40 heavy duty stuff better.

Don't forget to change the oil filter. Its under a cover on the front right side of the engine. I would do a couple of short runs on a good quality diesel oil to get the motor cleaned up. These bikes have cam wear issues so use the thinner oil. I like Motorcraft 15w40 Diesel but you can use what ever fits your budget. As for the carbs drain the float bowls (little screw on the bottom) take the scews all the way out and let the fluid and gunk run out.. If it runs fine after that than don't worry about taking the carbs apart. You may want to do this a few times during the first couple tanks of fresh gas you run through it.

Haven't ridden in years and just picked up the above bike with 7k on it. It runs but needs a little TLC. I'm told I CAN run car oil in it. I just bought Valvolene 20W50 but thinking of exchanging for 10W40, stay with cycle oil? As I said it runs, should I just run Sea Foam in gas or plan on having carbs rebuilt? Thanks!

The Valvoline oil you have in it now will do fine in a warm climate. No real need to buy special bike oil, a 15W40 HDEO will do just great for you.

A dose of carb cleaner might be able to clean out the carbs though usually if one has been sitting a long time the carbs need to come apart and be cleaned up.

Sell it, Sell it, these bikes have terrible starter gear problems, if it sounds like marbles being shaken in a coffee can when starting ditch it right quick.

I used to have an 1983 (maybe it was an 81') Virago 920. It was a very nice handling, torquey bike. It did have the starter problem too. I used 20/50 automotive oil in the summer and it worked fine. Nice bike-good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back