The last of the moly in motorcycle engines threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody here ran an oil with moly in it and had clutch slippage problems? You personaly and not a friend of a friend or a magazine artical.

I've used Synpower in my ATV with a wetclutch and had no problems.

Over the last 6 or so years, we have personally run an oil with moly in it and NOT had 'any' clutch slippage on various bikes including a Honda XR80, XR100, XR200, XR250, three different XR650R's, two different CR250R's, CRF450R, a TR200 FatCat, two different Yamaha WR426F's, IT490, YZ400, MX250A a Kawasaki KX250, and I'm probably leaving a few out!

I don't believe moly in and of itself is bad for wet clutches, but the type and amount of moly used can pose problems. You're looking for trouble if you use an oil that contains larger sizes of moly powder solids or has a high concentration of moly (whether solid MoS2 or soluble moly such as MoDTC). An oil that's properly additized with moly can be safe for wet clutches. Schaeffer's Micron Moly Racing oil is just one example.

I've got an old 78 kz400 that I kinda made a trail bike out of. And the last time I run havoline 10w30 that we all know is loaded with moly. And I cant make the clutch slip at all, And I run it up some pretty steep hills. Just my observation though since every bike is different I'd say some people might have slipping issues.

and to back up the VERY informed and knowledgable qadsan, you can see a large number of motorcycle uoa's that have moly in them in that very forum.

and this will not be the last post on this subject either. why? because people will continue to post versus doing a simple search and start the flogging of a dead horse all over again. (ie see this thread as an example).

I want to hear from fellow BITOG people that have personally had a problem by using an oil with Moly.
No 2nd hand "I heard" stuff.

I've ran oils with moly and not have any clutch problems.

I have been running DELO 15/40 in my RMZ450(MX) since the beginning 90 HRS no slippage, clutch is grabbing strong as day 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Show me a bike with a slipping clutch, and I will show you glazed plates and sacked out springs. Neither a result of oil additives.

Track myth runs rampent in the motorsports industry.

I agree with Jaybird on the moly thing.

My first bike was a Honda CX500 that was a rolling pile of excriment.

I knew even less then about oils than now (still not that savy) but I ran Mobil 10w40 (the old drive clean stuff) in that bike till I came across this site and a few others claiming it was a bad idea to run PCMO's in a bike. So I changed it out with Honda's bike oil of the time.

The clutch slipped just as much before and after, after all it was a junky learner bike I could careless about killing. Infact adding the Honda oil probably upped the value by $100.

My friend's cousin put oil with moly in his bike. 7 days later, he woke up in a hotel bathtub filled with ice, and both of his kidneys were gone.

True story.

never expierenced clutch slippage problems but i have expierence clutch sticking problems with passenger car oil in various wet clutch bikes. mostly dirtbikes. usually they only stick when the engines cold.

usually if i switch back to a oil suited for wet clutch, like a diesel oil, the sticking problem goes away after a few hours.

do a search on I think it was harley trans oil and bitog talk about soluble moly vs solid moly. he said soluble would have to reach a temp about 400 to have a efect on wet cluthches.
I've use mobil 1 75w90 in my sportster with no problem my clutches

I also wonder why Chevron delo 15/40 is not Allison C4 rated anymore if moly is fine for wet clutches.

I wouldn't be running it in my bikes.

quote:

Originally posted by rokky:
I also wonder why Chevron delo 15/40 is not Allison C4 rated anymore if moly is fine for wet clutches.

I wouldn't be running it in my bikes.

Maybe theres a difference between an engine that puts out over 2000 ft lbs of tq vs a MC engine? maybe in a tractor the moly could cause a problem?

I had a friend who had some slippage from using castrol syntec automotive 20w50 in his harley primary. He changes to redline MTL and it stopped. That said. I know of about 100 guys who use Mobil1 15-50 red cap car synthetic oil in Harleys and have NO I'll effects. So I owuld say the threat is 1%

I run Delo 15-40 in a modified 1500 motorcycle engine. Wet clutch. No slipping that I can detect. I've done this for years in many different motorcycles, never had any engine nor clutch problems in any of them.

I strictly use Redline oil in my 2000 R1. High moly content oil. At 30,000 miles on the original clutch....not even a hint of slippage. This subject has been beat to death already....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back