Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last bike I used Castrol GTD 10/40 with good results, now I've just got a Honda NTV 650 V twin water cooled almost the same as a Hawk / Bros, the gear shift was good untill I changed whatever oil was in there for the Castrol now its crap notchy and most of the time getting neutral on the way to second. Should I stick with 10/40 and go to another brand or go for 20/40

That bike just might not like the Castrol 10W40. Try another brand and see if it likes it any better. Sometimes it take a bit of trial and error to find one that a particular bike likes. A diesel rated oil may be the answer.

GTX doesn't seem to last long in bikes. their motorcycle spec oil isn't much better either. what ambient temp ranges do you expect to be riding in AGA?

Try ANY synthetic if you have a water cooled bike. I have had the neutral issue until I went synthetic. I'd try the 15w40 or 20w40 syn.

Castrol GTD is a diesel oil,I usally only ride in warm weather, I'd love to try Redline or Rotella but if they are in the UK they ain't easy to find so I'll try a Synth oil and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies.

i wondered if GTD was a typo of gtx or not since you are in the UK.
can you give us a url that shows the specs on this oil please?
if it is a HDEO, i would tend to think it would be pretty decent in your bike.

Redline oils are superior but are $7 a quart. I'd try the Rotella first and see how it runs at $7 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back